Forum home Babies Baby

An old MMR post

I'm looking for a member who replied to an old post about mmr jabs. I can't for the life of me remember who posted the topic or who it was that replied but the person it was were saying they had decided to go for the separate jabs as their lo was allergic to egg and because the mmr was cultivated in egg they had decided to go for separate jabs privately as the nhs wouldn't do it.
Does anyone remember this topic and can you remember who posted it or maybe it's you who is reading this now? :lol:

I just need to ask a quick question. xxx

Replies

• Yay...I found you :lol: That was quick!!!!!!!!!!

So what I wanted to ask hun was we have the same prob with Kade but when we phoned up to ask, they told us the same thing thing that he would have to be done under 'hospital supervision' to which we replied no chance.
    Anyway we called a private hospital and they told us the separate ones were too cultivated in egg!!!
    This has left us completely baffled and not sure what to do next :\?
    Did we get through to some numpty who didn't know what they were on about or what? Really want to get him done asap but not sure where to go from here?

xx
  • double post

[Modified by: Garfield on January 31, 2009 09:37 PM]

• I read your message wrong. I posted about seperate vaccines, Kelsie is having her 1st Measles on thursday. I thought you asked who posted about seperate measles, not the person who had them for egg intolerance reasons! Sorry!!

I've just found my topic on it and it was a lady called SMJ44 who posted about her LO.

TBH I thought they did contain egg even if single, but we're going for single because of the autism link, not the egg intolerance.

xx
    xx
  • I read your message wrong. I posted about seperate vaccines, Kelsie is having her 1st Measles on thursday. I thought you asked who posted about seperate measles, not the person who had them for egg intolerance reasons! Sorry!!

I've just found my topic on it and it was a lady called SMJ44 who posted about her LO.

TBH I thought they did contain egg even if single, but we're going for single because of the autism link, not the egg intolerance.

xx
    xx
  • I have found this though - might be useful.

Can an MMR Vaccine be given to an individual with an egg allergy?

The recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) acknowledge that the MMR vaccine can be safely administered to all patients with egg allergy. The AAP recommendations have been based, in part, on overwhelming scientific evidence supporting the routine use of one-dose administration of the MMR vaccine to egg-allergic patients. This includes those patients with a history of severe, generalized anaphylactic reactions to egg.
  • Thanks so much hunni, that's very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to look for that.

I too had heard they are safe to give but am not keen because of kades serious reaction.
    Just wondered what the other ladies experience was in relation to the allergy.
    tbh we'll probably end up giving it him anyway but would just be good to know of any risks.

thanks again hun xxx
  • Thats ok. Are you having him done singuarly?

• Well we haven't decided yet but if it's just the same to get all as one as them all separately then we'll do that.
    I think it costs us about ??50-??80 a jab (not 100%?) separate so ideally it'll all be together image

Did you get them done singular and if so how much it set you back?
  • Hiya. We're having Kelsie vaccinated at a private hospital in Essex. Measles is 90. Mumps is 95. Rubella is 90. We have to travel by train down there and thats 40 per trip. At the end of the 3 injections she needs a blood test which is 75 to test for immunties and depending on if she is fully protected or not depends on if she needs repeat injections. We worked out 470 if she doesnt need any other top up injections or up to 745 if she does need them.

For us though a small price to pay for piece of mind!

HTH image

xx
  • Hiya louise, i'm crashing from pregnancy, just to say my lo is allergic to egg, my GP surgery refused to do it and referred him to the hospital. He still had it all in one go, but we had to stay at the hospital for an hour or so just to make sure he didnt have a reaction, which he didnt, other than his arm swelled around the injection site. Hope this helps!
  • Thanks for bumping ;\)

Phew, that's expensive isn't it? I'm gonna have a chat with hv this week although something tells me that'll be a waste of time lol
    I agree that it's peace of mind though.

Thanks for your reply lynz, that's reassuring to know that your lo didn't have a reaction. Bit miffed with our docs as they obviously know all about his allergy but have never warned us anything about the mmr so we'd have just gone ahead without even doing it in hospital, if it wasn't for this site I would have been clueless!
    Thank god for be image

• It is a bit expensive yeah, but thats the only way for us. The HV will give you all the usual garbage - ours did! At the end of the day there is no proven link to autism in the UK, as it was America who proved it, and they have exactly the same MMR vaccination as us. The reason why its not proved over here is because the government wont fund the research. I think that you should be able to choose if you want to have the MMR combined or seperately and not to be made to feel bad about it. Was speaking to a woman who said she couldn't afford to have her child vaccinated that way, but then went on to tell us about her 2k holiday to tenerife later this year!!

xx
  • Tom has an egg allergy but after reading all the info he had his MMR at the surgery just a bit later than normal (waited until he was free of snot!!). No reaction at the time although 3 weeks later he did have a nasty rash which I thought may have been connected. To me it was a small price to pay for protection though as there was a measles case close by.
    Dr Andrew whatsit has since retracted his link with autism saying the research was flawed.