Forum home Babies Baby

do u have a playpen?

we have a lindam one but put it away when isaac got to about 18 months. Since we've been at my mums Tyler has been playing in his travel cot quite nicely so I'm gonna get our one back out when we go home.

How many of you have LOs that have a play pen? Do they play in there nicely? xx

Replies

• We have a lindam one too, and it's been an absolute life saver at times. Erin plays in there very nicely... she's almost 18mnths now. There is such a small gap between my two (12mnths 3 weeks) it's great to be able to pop her in and know she cant get to Joe (as she likes to 'play' with him now) whilst i pop for a wee or hang the washing out etc.
  • nope all the people i know that have one used it a lot and there little ones never bothered trying to learn to crawl or walk, and i think its because there was no space, or place for the to go.
  • We've got one we picked up cheap on ebay, dunno what we'd do without it! Bethany complains a bit when we first put her in it, but is easily distracted by a toy, and then she'll play quite happily. It's great for when I need a wee or have to answer the door and so on.

JodieBuckley- for us it is kind of the other way round, the main reason we're using the playpen is because she is so mobile! We haven't got the house babyproofed yet, and if we put her down for a moment she is off. But I agree that it's not good if the baby is always in the playpen, they need time and space to explore as well.

[Modified by: Poz on February 01, 2009 11:48 AM]

• We haven't got one. Kelsie plays in the dining room and in the lounge. I think a playpen limits their space to play in, Kelsie has run of the house from the time she's up til the time she goes to bed. I love her being able to do what she wants. She's very good if someone knocks at door and won't make a dash for it. Plus she's always giving us all kisses and cuddles and she couldnt do that in a play pen. I'd miss my cuddles!
  • i've got one which i've not used in ages as evie went through a phase of hating being in it, and our sitting room was too small for it.

i might get it out again though as it was so so handy for nipping to the loo or to answer the door. usually she has free reign of the whole house and goes where she likes - but of course this way she can get upto mischeif!

I don't like the idea of kids spending a long time in them though, especially once they are mobile!
  • I have one and for a while I used it as a ball pool. I have recently taken out the balls and just have a few toys in it and she loves playing in it as well. I wouldn't think about the crawling or the walking either. Kara loves walking aorund the playpen. My MIL always had one for all her children and she said that is how most of them learnt to walk as they walked around it then eventually let go as they knew it was safe if they fell.
  • We've got one we picked up cheap on ebay, dunno what we'd do without it! Bethany complains a bit when we first put her in it, but is easily distracted by a toy, and then she'll play quite happily. It's great for when I need a wee or have to answer the door and so on.

JodieBuckley- for us it is kind of the other way round, the main reason we're using the playpen is because she is so mobile! We haven't got the house babyproofed yet, and if we put her down for a moment she is off. But I agree that it's not good if the baby is always in the playpen, they need time and space to explore as well.

[Modified by: Poz on February 01, 2009 11:48 AM]

i totaly get what you mean if the little one is already mobile, my mate had her little one in the thing from once he was able to sit by himself and was never really out of it,
  • We bought a travel cot that could be used as a playpen thinking we would use it once he was mobile as a playpen but we have never yet used it as that!!! I don't think he would want to go in it - I also don't see when I would want to use it as he just potters about following me round the house or sits and plays when I am busy so there is no need for one that I can see. Sometimes he comes to the loo with me but if he is playing happily I just leave him to it and go off to the loo anyway!
  • We were given a playpen but my lo hated it so I gave it to a friend. We have a travel cot that doubles as a toy box at the end of the day. It is fab for when I need 5 mins to keep him somewhere safe. He was crawling at just over 7 months and walking at 11 months so he gets everywhere. Nice to have somewhere to put him you know he is safe if you need the loo or something!
    Plus I am due baby number 2 in June so I think it will be a safe place for me to put the new baby in when he is in his moses basket if I need to keep him out of my sons way.
  • iv got a 2 & a 3 year old and now Tyler has started crawling and trying to push himself up to sit he wants to be on the floor moving about by himself more and more. Its just a bit chaotic with all 3 of them on the floor !! xx