Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

doulas?

Only just hear of these :\?... are they common? is anyone using one?
xxxx

Replies

• I replied to this but my post has vanished!?!?

I'm having a doula at the birth of my baby. My doula Michelle is fab and she understands my medical phobia really well. It's important to find a doula who you get on with. Me and my fiance have a hospital phobia so shes being 'employed' to support us both.
    I think doula's are a brilliant idea if you feel you need that little bit of extra support image
  • I replied to this but my post has vanished!?!?

I'm having a doula at the birth of my baby. My doula Michelle is fab and she understands my medical phobia really well. It's important to find a doula who you get on with. Me and my fiance have a hospital phobia so shes being 'employed' to support us both.
    I think doula's are a brilliant idea if you feel you need that little bit of extra support image

Apologies if this multiposts!! I
  • Hi there, you might be interested in the following article which gives you the lowdown on doulas: http://www.babyexpert.com/Birth/Get-a-better-birth-with-our-doula-webchat/v1
  • Hi, my doula TJ was with us for the birth of both our sons, and she was fantastic - in fact I booked her when I was only 7 weeks gone with our second son, as I didn't want her to get booked by someone else!

I had a tricky 37 hour labour with Jacob, with hours of very strong contractions as he was stuck, but I never felt panicked and out of control as TJ was so reassuring. I managed 30-odd hours at home with just a TENS machine followed by a birth pool, then nothing (the birth pool did nothing for me) before getting transferred to hospital. She gave great back rubs, which really helped with each contraction. She also reassured my hubby - he didn't think we needed a doula until the day came, and then he was so glad she was there!

With Noah my waters went in the car halfway to the birthing centre and I needed to push - again TJ was really reassuring and kept me from panicking, and her back rubs really helped. My poor hubby was driving us, and he was very glad TJ was there!

I really can't recommend having a doula enough. For me it was so important to have a woman with me who was calm and confident, and who I knew and trusted - I knew it was very unlikely I'd see the midwife who had looked after me during the pregnancies when it came to giving birth, and I didn't. Having my hubby there was also very important, but I knew he wouldn't be able to properly understand what it's like to give birth, and that he couldn't be expected to.

I hope all goes well for you xxx