Forum home Babies Baby

Supermarket Trolleys - what do you do?

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I've seen this post before but I was wondering what you do with your LO's when you go to the supermarket? My little girl is 18 wks now and I can't seem to settle on a comfy way of doing it! image

I've tried putting her in the car seat in the shallow trolleys (useless if I want to do a big shop) and tried putting her in the baby seats provided on the trolleys (but they always seem so high and uncomfortable for little babies!).. There must be an easier way! am I missing a trick here? How do you ladies manage it?

Thanks (sorry it seems such a random post!) image

Replies

• Most supermarkets have big trolleys with a 'rack' (sorry can't think of a better word) on top that you can slot your car seat into - that's what we usually do. I have started putting him into a baby carrier as he gets frustrated in his car seat, and we've started doing our big shop online so we don't have the hassle x
  • we used to leave him in his pram and one of us push that around while the other one pushes the trolley round.

they do have the ones you can put a car seat on but they are high, or you could try taking a blanket to wrap lo in to put them into the baby seat of the trolley...

xx
  • We just put Evan in the baby seat bit and he fell asleep lol and now he goes in the sitting up bit
    We always put a blanket down for him to lie on in the baby seat - have you tried that?
  • First time I put her in carseat on the rack things jamdonuts talking about. She was asleep but once awake whinged so I ended up taking her out.

When I was on my on before I did online tesco shops, I had her in a baby carrier. So if I needed to leave the trolley she was always with me. She owas always quiet, either asleep or being nosey. Definately recommended a baby carrier to shop with.
  • First time I put her in carseat on the rack things jamdonuts talking about. She was asleep but once awake whinged so I ended up taking her out.

When I was on my on before I did online tesco shops, I had her in a baby carrier. So if I needed to leave the trolley she was always with me. She owas always quiet, either asleep or being nosey. Definately recommended a baby carrier to shop with.
  • Most supermarkets have the big trolleys with a 'rack' (sorry i can't think of a better word) on top that you can slot your car seat in - this is what we used to do. Nowadays we do our shopping online, much easier, or if i do have to take lo i put him in the baby carrier and he stays a bit calmer (hates the supermarket, just like his mummy!). I've put him in the trolley seat once before, but it was so cold and hard and dirty (i anti-bacced it first with a wipe, must have looked a right nut job) that he wasn't happy at all x
  • multi-post x

[Modified by: JamDonut on February 03, 2009 04:18 PM]

• Until recently i've used my baby carrier. Downside of that is not being able to bend over to get to the bottom of a big trolly if you do a bug shop but me and my dh do that together so not an issue for us.

Louise is 6 months and I now put her in the baby seat on the trolley.

i hate the trolleys that are designed to put the car seat onto as they're soooooo heavy!!

Lisa
  • Until recently i've used my baby carrier. Downside of that is not being able to bend over to get to the bottom of a big trolly if you do a bug shop but me and my dh do that together so not an issue for us.

Louise is 6 months and I now put her in the baby seat on the trolley.

i hate the trolleys that are designed to put the car seat onto as they're soooooo heavy!!

Lisa
  • i used theaby seats on the trolleys but put a blanket down on it first. the first time dd started screaming about 5 mins after i put her in it but it turned out the seat was really cold and when i picked her up her back and little legs were freezing so put the blanket on it first.

the ones with the 'racks' are no good for short people, once i struggled to get the car seat on it i couldnt see a thing, had to walk with my head bobbing from side to side so i couls see where i was going, never done that since

• I used our own car seat in the rack thingy for as long as possible because you don't know what yucky stuff has happened in the baby seats on trolleys - and no I'm not mega paranoid about germs but I knwo if cole can puke all down himself in the trolley seat so can other babies and i'm sure not everyone will clean up as well as I did! Once he was too big for that, I put a folded over blanket down for him to lie on on the baby seat as it looks bloody uncomfy and he was quite happy there. Now I put a folded blanket on the seat and up the back so he's a bit more comfy.

Tescos have better trolleys for car seats as they are lower, but the tesco here is rubbish. Asdas are ok but very high up so not easy to see round! Stupid design really
  • We always put Zacky straight into the baby seats on the trolley. Safety straps are a nightmare to adjust, but he has always settled really well in them. He loves the supermarket as he gets a good view of evrything and loves 'tarting' and getting attention, LOL.