Forum home Babies Baby

Does your LO wake up in the night for dummy?

My LO is almost a year old and wakes up an awful lot in the night for his dummy to be put back in - I haven't minded this so much whilst I've been a full time mummy but I'm heading back to work in a few weeks and I'm going to be knackered if I'm up and down all night like I am now! image

Do any of your babies do the same and has anyone successfully weaned their LO off dummies & got any tips please?? xx

Replies

• Just wanted to say we are the same! Have you tried teaching your LO to put it back in? Riley can do this, but sleeps swaddled so cant at night. xxx
  • Well Evie always woke for hers, whereas Kyra finds it herself and puts in back in, she's done this since 5 months. You could try holding his hand, then pat around until he finds it himself or get a glow in the dark one, Avent do these xox
  • i dont know where or who gave me this tip but it was to put a few dummies all around lo in cot that way they will have a greater chance of finding one when they wake up.
    mind you hayden is 17 weeks and i still have to swaddle him or he has very broken sleep so i just hope as he get bigger he wil be able to sleep with his arms free and replug himself!!!
  • Hi Ben is 17mths and although im going to try and get him off the dummies,he does use one for bedtime,sometimes he will wake in the night or early morning and if he cannot find his dummy then I have to go in and plug him back up lol..I too have afew dummies scattered in his cot so usually he will find one himself!
  • Hi Ben is 17mths and although im going to try and get him off the dummies,he does use one for bedtime,sometimes he will wake in the night or early morning and if he cannot find his dummy then I have to go in and plug him back up lol..I too have afew dummies scattered in his cot so usually he will find one himself!
  • Evan wakes loads for his but I put loads in his cot and sometimes he can find them himself and sometimes not - will try to wean him off soon but maybe nearer one
  • Zacky wakes occassionally for his dummy, but we taught him from around 5 mths to reach for his dummy and put it in himself. When he wakes he serches his cot for a dummy (think theres 3 in there at the mo) and pops it in. He only cries if he cant find a dummy.
  • Nathan has his dummy for naps and bedtime but I think we've been lucky as he never cries for it to be put back. He is quite a good sleeper (although and early riser!) so I think he's just not waking enough to miss it.

We did make a point of not giving it to him when we're out, so if he's in his pram or car seat he falls asleep without it. This might have reduced his dependency on it a bit so may be worth a try?

xxxx
  • Thanks girls, i might try leaving a few in his cot then as it's just getting so exhausting! I really want to try to wean him off them altogether, altho I feel a bit guilty as he's teething at the moment xx
  • Hi Yum Yum, I just responded to your other post about this, but the thing that really helped us was this bunny comforter from www.Sleepytot.com. Basically, you put four dummies on it's paws and then show your baby how to find the soothers on it. It took my ds two nights to catch on and I know other people who have said the same. It really does work if you plan to stick with the dum dums!