Forum home Babies Baby

Im curious ....

How did you decide your method of feeding was best for you and lo?
I breastfeed because to be honest I wanted Connor to have my antibodies and was told its best for him, also easier!
I dont want to turn this into a breast or bottle debate I think each method of feeding has its advantages and disadvantages, as I said im curious

Gill
xxxx

Replies

• I wanted to bf but Poppy really struggled to get latched on and would only ever feed off one boob. I had lots of help from bf 'experts' and it was just down to Poppy being lazy and hungry - she didn't want to suck hard to get her milk so she never really fed properly. I fed her for about 3 weeks but she was 9lbs 12oz born so was always hungry so by 3 weeks I had to express from the other boob and feed her my expressed milk. She eventually lost interest and my milk dried up by 7 weeks ish.
    I personally found it really awkward and not at all the pleasurable experience it was meant to be so wasn't too upset that i had to stop.
    xx
  • I wanted to bf but Poppy really struggled to get latched on and would only ever feed off one boob. I had lots of help from bf 'experts' and it was just down to Poppy being lazy and hungry - she didn't want to suck hard to get her milk so she never really fed properly. I fed her for about 3 weeks but she was 9lbs 12oz born so was always hungry so by 3 weeks I had to express from the other boob and feed her my expressed milk. She eventually lost interest and my milk dried up by 7 weeks ish.
    I personally found it really awkward and not at all the pleasurable experience it was meant to be so wasn't too upset that i had to stop.
    xx
  • I decided to breastfeed Kelsie as she was my first and I wanted to say that I had done it as so many woman cant for various reasons. Also the fact that its a lot cheaper too. Plus like you its easier in some places, and the antibodies are brilliant for bubs.

I bottlefed Jack because Kelsie was 12 months when he was born and after BF Kelsie I know personally how time consuming Breastfeeding is, and I didn't want to take that time away from Kelsie as she was still so young.

Also to point out I had severe post-natal depression with Kelsie, partly from Breastfeeding but I wont go into that, and didn't want to get PND with Jack after knowing how serious it is.

xxx
  • tbh it never occured to me to bottle feed. I was bfed, oh was bfed, I kind of just assumed that was how you fed babies :lol: Glad I did though as it is so convienient, and being able to feed lying down is a huge bonus :lol:
    xx
  • :roll: :roll:

[Modified by: Bedhead on February 02, 2009 08:58 PM]

• Sorry, duplicate!!

[Modified by: Bedhead on February 02, 2009 08:55 PM]

• :roll:

[Modified by: Bedhead on February 02, 2009 08:56 PM]

• I wanted to give bfing a go but wasnt sure about it, i wasnt bfed as my mum never actually produced any milk. I think my uncertainty came from this. I managed to feed her for a day but because she wouldnt latch on properly i gave up. I think i gave up quickly because i didnt have much support.
  • Bit like Bedhead, I never really thought about bottle feeding, just assumed I would bf. Although I was slightly concerned I wouldn't be able to as I heard of a lot of people that had probs, so I was prepared to ff if it didn't work out.
  • Bit like Bedhead, I never really thought about bottle feeding, just assumed I would bf. Although I was slightly concerned I wouldn't be able to as I heard of a lot of people that had probs, so I was prepared to ff if it didn't work out.
  • It was awkward for me, I 'kind of' wanted to bf but in a way I felt very awkward about it because none of my family ever did it and they assumed I would be bottle feeding.

In the hospital I tried to get Gabe latched on but all he did was scream, I have very flat nipples so maybe thats why. All the midwives just left me to it so I asked for a bottle of formula and Gabe been ff'ed ever since, a few more attempts to bf tho.

I like ff cos it's easy and you know how much baby is taking.

I DON'T like it because you have to get out of bed in this freezing weather to get a bottle and warm it up.

I think if I ever have another (unlikely) I will be breast feeding, but I do worry a lot about it as its so 'unknown' to me.
  • My oh told me formula was too expensive so I'd better figure bf out!! Joking aside it just seemed the easiest option. We've had a lot of problems starting with Fayes method of delivery, colic, oral thrush - why I haven't stopped is a mystery. I'm just now 3 mnths later starting to enjoy the experience :\)
  • I really wanted to b'feed for lots of reasons but knew I would find it awkward out and about as my boobies are huge!! Im a size 14 with these stupid G boobs that are yet to go down, anyway I did and I managed it for 3months which I am so proud of! Amber started to loose weight and generally seemed v unsettled and would pull of the boob all the time so I switched to bottles and she she has been a different girl ever since, much happier image

The annoying thing is the night feeds used to wap a boob out and lie down now I have to mess about with bottles, also how bloody expensive is formula??? So annoying! Thank god Amber takes it cold/room temp/warm however you give it to her!

I do think the antibodies are fantastic for lo but a happy mummy makes a happy baby so whatever is best really xxx
  • I was always determined to bf and when he was born was totally shocked how hard it was! He wasn't for taking to it and it took a good couple of weeks of pain and tears (from me) before he eventually got the hang of things. Finally things got easier and we carried on right up until he gave up himself at about 14 months. I was incredibly proud to have got that far.
    I know of many people that haven't managed to bf and their lo's are perfectly fine so I really don't think it is too important however if you are lucky enough, it is a great thing to do.
  • I tried to BF and did manage to with top ups from FF for 5 & a half weeks - I'd lost a lot of blood so wasn't possiable for me to produce enough milk my milk didn't come in for 5 days, & I had a very hungry child - deciding not to anymore was hard but I felt proud I had managed at least 5 & a bit weeks - & he thrived as soon as I introduced the formular & I then got better, trying to produce milk is completely natural but is very hard work so always admire ladies who have managed - however if I had just been 'left to nature' after the birth I wouldn't have been here now so just feel my body wasn't able - self preservation couldn't produce milk for a child when I didn't have enough inside me to keep me going even if that makes sence?

Am pregnant again and will do my very best - but what will be will be won't beat myself up either way - because I know in my heart of hearts I honestly did as much as I was able to do! x
  • i always wanted to try bf and we did it for 10months then i had to go back to work and Lexie was getting frustraited by then so i think she was ready to give up i am the only one in my family that has bf noone else even considered it so im glad it went well im expecting number 2 in 6weeks so going to try again but if it doesnt work then its not the end of the world.
    Lin34wks
  • Wow makes me realise how lucky I am that we took to breastfeeding so quickly.He latched on well at the hospital and my milk came in after a day and a half because he was feeding so much, not to say we havnt had some problems, ive had engorgement, mastitis and cracked nipples in the beginning!
    Thanks for your replies ive always been curious about how people decide how to feed lo's for some reason
    Gill
    xxxx