Forum home Babies Baby

Advise Please...

hey everyone, as u know from my other post, JJ has gastroenteritis and has been quite poorly overnight...he's been prescribed dyoralite (sp?) to replace fluids and salts etc and i was told if he kept that down to give him dilute formula and see how he got on...anyway, he's only been taking the dyoralite in 1oz's cuz i don't think he likes it but he was keeping it down so i tried the dilute formula but he wouldn't take that very well either...i've struggled to get 10oz in total down him all day and i'm close to tears with it all...he hasn't been sick at all today but he's crying cuz he seems hungry, anyway, i gave in and went against what the doctor told me and gave him a small bottle of properly made up formula and he's drained the bottle and is now crying for more...i know they say starve a bug but surely it's more important that he gets the fluids? i don't know what to do, it seems that he's just crying for the proper formula, i can't starve him can i?!

very tired and very upset :cry:

Replies

• It makes more sense to me to make sure he's properly hydrated and is getting his vitamins from his milk, and if that means giving him the proper formula rather than diluted then that's what i'd do, but i'm no doctor. If he's keeping it down i don't see what difference it makes? He's obviously got an appetite and if he's not hungry he'll be more settled and rested and get better quicker surely. x
  • It makes more sense to me to make sure he's properly hydrated and is getting his vitamins from his milk, and if that means giving him the proper formula rather than diluted then that's what i'd do, but i'm no doctor. If he's keeping it down i don't see what difference it makes? He's obviously got an appetite and if he's not hungry he'll be more settled and rested and get better quicker surely. x

thats exactly what i thought, it's been almost half an hour now and he hasn't brought it back up so i'll see what happens and maybe in a few hours give him some more! x
  • I think that you should get advise from NHS first honey, just as a guidance. Then make a decision based on that. To be honest, as long as he is keeping his fluids up, which you say he is, I personally would also give him formula, maybe 1 scoop less than required. 6oz water, 5 scoops. JJ is still to young to understand that he can't have milk, and this could cause worse problems when he gets really hungry. I'd give him some weaker formula honey and see how he goes. Although, having said that, if he is sick I wouldnt give him any more.

Hope it all goes ok.

xx
  • I think that you should get advise from NHS first honey, just as a guidance. Then make a decision based on that. To be honest, as long as he is keeping his fluids up, which you say he is, I personally would also give him formula, maybe 1 scoop less than required. 6oz water, 5 scoops. JJ is still to young to understand that he can't have milk, and this could cause worse problems when he gets really hungry. I'd give him some weaker formula honey and see how he goes. Although, having said that, if he is sick I wouldnt give him any more.

Hope it all goes ok.

xx
  • If it were me I would give him the full strength formula, but in smaller, more frequent, feeds than normal. If he is keeping it down then it will be doing him good. I personally can never follow the advice not to eat when I have a bug, I just get soooo hungry, your lo is obviously the same.
    Hope he feels better soon hun, how is your oh now?
    xx
  • he's just been for a checkup to see if he's ok to go back to work and the doc said yes just to take it easy and not do any heavy lifting, i personally don't think he is, he's on the loo every 2 mins and not eating but hey i'm no expert! x
  • Evan had this when he was 8 weeks and my doc said give him the diluted but he wouldnt take it and drained the full strength so I just gave him that - then when he went for a check up I told the gp and he said aslong as he kept it down then give him whatever he wants - I would offer more often than usual cause he needs to build himself back up - but keep offering water and the other stuff to - it took Evan a good couple of weeks to get over it just to make you aware as it takes a lot out of them - big hugs to you and JJ as I know how bad it is!
    xxx
  • totally agree with everyone else. If he's taking normal stregth formula then give him that. Fingers crossed he keeps that down and feels better soon. S x
  • Hi

I can totally sympathise with you. My daughter had this weeks ago and would not eat or drink anything. When she did take milk she would projectile vomit it all back. We tried the rehydration sachets but she was just sick and eded up in hopsital with dehydration. It wasn't until this Sunday that she started eating again and I thought we had turned a corner but on Monday, she point blank refused solids and only took 9oz of milk, Tuesday 13oz of milk and no food and wednesday the same. I took her to the clinic on Wednesday to get weighted and in 5 days she had lost 6oz. Today she started projectile vomiting again and won't take any fluids. Is such a worry when they're poorly. I'm at a loss as to what to do myself.

When we were in hospital I was told to still give her milk so she was kept hydrated but to give an oz then wait 15mins before giving another oz. It takes a while and she got upset in between as she was hungry but it was the only she would keep anything down.

HTH

Danielle
  • thanks girls, he's so far kept the 4oz bottle down, he's had another 1oz of the rehydration stuff and has just drained another 5oz bottle of milk, so in total he's had approx 18oz today which isn't too awful! will just have to see what night time brings!

m2bjul08 wow i couldn't cope with that i really feel for you, i'm just hoping JJ carries on wanting the milk and keeping it down! his nappies are awful atm but so far *fingers crossed* he hasn't been sick since this morning!

my poorly boy...

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2168/128/8/516184952/n516184952_417952_4622.jpg

[Modified by: mrsjbourne on February 12, 2009 10:47 PM]