Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

help, how much milk?

Hi girls,
My OHs grandad died yesterday and the funerals next friday, the thing is we cant take Connor and its a 2 hour drive away so we hve to leave him with my mum.
I have a few questions if you dont mind?

1- How much milk should i pump? wel be gone from 7-3/4, hel be 5 months old and last week he weighed 15lb 11oz.
2- Any tips on giving him a bottle?
3- Any tips on helping him settle?

Thanks
Gill
xxxx

[Modified by: rainbowshoes on 13 February 2009 23:38:08 ]

Replies

• Options
    ok - how many bf does he have in a day - any idea???
    Does he just have milk? if he does then you will prob need to do a few bottles with as much milk as you can really just to be on the safe side!!
    If he has not had the bottle before - I would try him a couple of times before you go so that he is used to it when your mum gives it him.
  • Options
    Hi Gill, I presume you mean 15lb 11ozs? A rough idea for how much Connor may take from a bottle is to take his weight in lbs and divide by two, i.e. 15 / 2 = 7.5 so roughly a 7oz bottle.

Harry was 5 months on 9th and he usually has between 6 and 8oz formula per feed. I found when I was expressing for him while he was still breastfeeding I could only get around 5-6 oz per go so you might want to start a few days before and freeze some milk - better to have too much than not enough!

Sorry to hear about your OH's grandad

Clare & Harry x
  • Options
    Hi thanks for the replies!
    Louise hed probably have 3 feeds in that time period, an weve started him on some baby rice this week, so maybe if my mum gives him some at lunchtime that might tide him over a bit? and il try him on a bottle every day til friday!
    Clare - Yep i did mean 15lb 11oz lol, ive only got 3 8oz bottles so do you think that would be enough? and what do you store bm in in the freezer? sorry for all the questions

Thanks for the advice
    Gill
    xxxx
  • Options
    I used the Lansinoh freezer bags, I imagine there are loads of other brands as well. you express whatever you can, pour it in the bag, seal the top (kind of like a normal freezer bag but double seal) and pop it in the freezer. I think a box of 25 of these bags was about ??5 from Boots last time I bought any. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can put your bottles in the freezer as long as you leave a gap at the top (as the milk expands when frozen) and put a proper lid on.

If Connor would usually have three feeds then three bottles should be enough but I always overestimate so I would recommend trying to express an extra bottle worth just in case - unless you don't mind your mom giving formula in an emergency (ie Connor deciding that day it would be fun to have a huuuge appetite!) you're better to have too much than not enough. As for actual bottles, she could always sterilise one if it was needed while Connor was with her, I know my MIL has boiled a bottle in a pan on the hob one time!

HTH - I'm sure everything will be fine

Clare & Harry x