Forum home Babies Baby

What do you use or give lo if they have a cold?

Hi, over the last couple of days Archie has been getting more and more snuffly. He's been waking in the night and coughing. During his bottle tonight he kept choking cos he couldn't breathe through his nose.
I've got some nasosal drops but he won't let me near him. Keeps opening his mouth as if he thinks it's food ! Greedy monkey even with a cold.
So what can I give him to help, he's 18wks old.thanks girls. Suz x

Replies

• Have you tried snuffle babe?? I rub this on Evans chest when he is bunged up and it can be used from 3 months also you can get some of the baby olbas oil, put it on some tissue then put it near his cot so he can breathe it in put dont let him get it.
    Nasosal drops are good I would try to see if you can get them up his nose as they clear Evan out a treat!
  • Have you tried snuffle babe?? I rub this on Evans chest when he is bunged up and it can be used from 3 months also you can get some of the baby olbas oil, put it on some tissue then put it near his cot so he can breathe it in put dont let him get it.
    Nasosal drops are good I would try to see if you can get them up his nose as they clear Evan out a treat!
  • Hey hun,

Amber has a had a few colds so I have some advice for you thats worked for us.

Is he in a cot? If so put a rolled up towel underneath and head of the mattress, this helped Amber no end!! Sleeping so much better!

A bowl of water under the radiator or next to it with drops of karvol or olbas oil in.

Snuffle babe/vicks on his chest. I tried it on her feet - she slept awful so never again lol!

Nasosol drops are fab, hold his head and get them up even if he cries (Amber hates it too!) as they will help him so much. Try getting bogies out too with a cotton bud or nose sucker thing.

Make sure you have the window open in the room he sleeps in for a good few hours a day to freshen the air in there too.

Hope he gets better soon, tixylix baby is fab if he gets a cough xxx
  • These are the things that i try when LO has a cold.

* Raise the head of his cot by whatever means are at hand. If LO naps on the sofa then build up a mound of pillows to raise his head.

* Drs always recomend using steamy rooms to open LOs nasal passages. Usually just sit him on my knee in the bathroom with the shower on. This doesnt always work with my LO though.

* Have used Vicks and more recently Karvol (which worked alot better). When he was little I put some on a muslin and put it at the head of his moses basket (out of reach). Now I put vicks on his feet, and Karvol on his sleeping bag at night.

I have also used Calpol if he is unwell usually morning and night to help him try to get some sleep.

Pleanty of fresh air works as well, just remember to wrap up warm if its cold out.

We had probs using the Nasodrops as well. He hated them. Think he would move more bogies due to the amount of screaming he did when we tried to use it than from the drops LOL. He also hates having his nose wiped so colds are fun in my house.
  • So to jump in on this too... but does Vicks on their feet really work?
    My lo now has her 2nd cold in less than a month, and is only 15 wks old. We can't put Vicks on her chest as she has eczema all over.
    She sleeps in a babygro and a sleeping bag so i don't understand how she can get the vapour of Vicks?
    We've tried everything - bed raising, nose drops, calpol, olbas oil and i am really struggling with exhaustion now!
  • millie had such a bad cold other day she could only breath out her mouth. i had to get some drops for her i got some beginning with an o cant remeber what they r called oxy something lol. they r for children mainly from 2 years old but u can give them to the baby if over 3 months. millis is 5 and a half and her cold was so bad i gave them to her and they cleared it straight away! i also have the calpol plug in which is really good! anyway its been 3 days now and her cold is getting better! hope archies does soon x x
  • Thanks, I'm gonna try some of these tonight and have a quick trip to Boots at lunch time for some supplies. He's more snuffly today but didn't resist the nose drops as much, but then I snuck up on him when he was least expecting it ! S x