Forum home Babies Baby

Cornflakes

My hv has suggested that i should give my lo cornflakes for breakfast as a better option to weetabix as the salt content in weeabix is a little high. I didn't think cornflakes were ok to give to them just yet? My lo is 9 1/2 months.
Just wondered if any of you have given your lo's cornflakes?
Thanks xx

Replies

• Hi my lo has weetabix most mornings.hs 18mths old.
    I havent given him cornflakes other than the odd spoonful when im eating them.
    I cant see any reason why giving your lo cornflakes wot be ok,I jst prefer to give my lo porridge or weetabix but thats just my choice.
    I cant see any reason why giving your lo cornflakes wot be ok,I jst prefer to give my lo porridge or weetabix but thats just my choice.
  • I personally thought that cornflakes had a lot more sugar in? Check the ingredients, you'll soon find out.
    They seem a lot sweeter than weetabix.

• Hi,
    Wow I didn't know that we give our lo Weetabix and he's 7 months old. Sorry no idea about cornflakes I expected them to have lots of sugar. Just shows how hard it is to find food safe for our lo's isn't is?
    Just found this on the Kellog website:
    Typical value per 100g

Energy
    - kJ 1580
    - kcal 372
    Protein (g) 7
    Carbohydrates (g) 84
    - sugars (g) 8
    - starch (g) 76
    Fat (g) 0.9
    - saturates (g) 0.2
    Fibre (g) 3
    Sodium (g) 0.7
    Vitamins
    Vitamin A (????g) -
    Vitamin D (????g) -
    Vitamin E (mg) -
    Vitamin C (mg) -
    Thiamin B1 (mg) 1.2
    Riboflavin B2 (mg) 1.3
    Niacin (mg) 14.9
    Vitamin B6 (mg) 1.7
    Folic Acid (????g) 166
    Vitamin B12 (????g) 0.83
    Minerals
    Iron (mg) 8
    Zinc (mg) -
    Calcium (mg) -
    Magnesium (mg) -
    Looks like quite a bit of sugar nearly 8%.
    Also from the Weetabix website:
    Nutrition per serving per 100g
    Energy (Kilojoules) 537kJ 1432kJ
    Energy (Calories) 127kcal 338kcal
    Protein 4.3g 11.5g
    Carbohydrate 25.7g 68.4g
    (of which sugars) 1.7g 4.4g
    Fat 0.8g 2g
    (of which saturates) 0.2g 0.6g
    Fibre 3.8g 10g
    (soluble) 0.9g 2.3g
    (insoluble) 2.9g 7.7g
    Sodium 0.10g 0.26g
    Salt Equivalent 0.24g 0.65g

Vitamins
    Thiamin (B1) 0.4mg 1.2mg
    Niacin 5.7mg 15.3mg
    Folic Acid 64.0????g 170????g
    Riboflavin (B2) 0.5mg 1.4mg

Minerals
    Iron 4.5mg 11.9mg
    Clearly I need to get out more but hope it helps!! xx
  • I give Barney Readybrek most of the time as it is salt free, think wheatabix is ok sometimes though.
    xx
  • Hey thank u for your replies. I think i will hold off on the cornflakes for a bit longer then as looking at the nutritional info there is more sugar than weetabix has. Seems bizarre how they add salt and sugar to these cereals instead of just giving us the option to add sugar for ourselves if we so wish lol
    I'll offer Rhys weetabix and porridge instead. Thanks xx
  • evie is 9m, she has cheerios, porridge, rice krispies, cornflakes (cheerios are the fave) followed by toast

she isnt the greatest eater so its a case of giving her anything she will eat!