Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

chicken pox and excema

hi my baby is 6 moths old and has a servere case of excema i think she has chicken pox and i am worried about what her skin will go like and if it is going to be ten times worse for her if anyone has had any experience with chicken pox and a baby with excema please help on what treatment you used as i do not know if i can use calomine lotion on her skin
thank you x

Replies

• hey,

my lo has eczema, but has not yet had chicken pox.

chicken pox spots are very different to eczema - they will be spots that are like fluid filled blisters.

with the calomine lotion, how about trying it on a small patch of her skin to see if it helps - it shouldn't do any harm but as your lo has ezcema you will need to see if it aggrivates her skin or not.

Also, try looking on the nhs website
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chickenpox/Pages/Treatment.aspx?url=Pages/what-is-it.aspx

or give nhs direct a ring - they're really helpful and i've found them reassuring too. phone no - 0845 4647

lisa
  • Hi, my daughter had chickenpox last year and she suffers from eczema too, Personally I wouldnot use calamine lotion as it dries onto the skin and that makes the itching worse, I used aqueous cream with calamine which was a lot better, she was still itchy but not too bad. I also used piriton but I think you can only use that if your baby is over 12 months so check with the pharmacist.