Forum home Babies Baby

Gabe's 9 month check

He had it today and god what a pain. I got the whole "Put him on his tummy, put toys out of his reach, they only learn through frustration" talk again. The woman asked me to put Gabe on his tummy and kept putting toys further and further away from him to try and get him to move. She said "we need to get him pushing on his arms". Also not to put him in a baby walker as it will slow his development. (He is only in one 20 mins a day, if that!)

Sorry it makes me so mad as he is a person not a performing circus pet!!! He doesn't need to be crawling or walking by X months. I have no intention on leaving him on his tummy to cry just to make him move.

On the plus side though, he has put on 8oz in a fortnight and is now 21lbs, wow. He hadnt been putting on weight at all and had lost 1oz so I'm happy about that! He is eating mainly finger food now and it seems to be working
xxx

Replies

• Lily can't roll or crawl all she can do is sit! I have Lily's 8 month check coming up and they call it 'the crawlers and walkers check' lol Lily does neither of them!

Don't worry about it, Gabe is adorable!
    xx
  • they r annoying arent they!! gabe is doing just fine!! he will do it in his own time x x
  • Kara is 17 months and never crawled so dont worry about it. She bum shuffles and is almost walking. All children do things at their own pace and I don't believe in forcing them. Of course it is good to encourage them but its not fair on them to make them do it if they are not happy with it.
  • My little girl just had her check and i felt the same, like she was expected to 'perform'. She's always hated being on her tummy so i don't force her. The HV suggested that she's lazy!!!!
  • i bet il get this as grace dosent crawl yet either! they do annoy u sayin baby should do this n that by a certain age! xxx
  • What you need to encourage him to crawl is a toddler :lol: I'll lend you Millie if you like! Everytime Millie runs past him Barney throws himself full length on the floor and then get really cross cos he can't crawl after her!! Fortunately we don't get a 8 month check here, they do it at 12 months instead. Hopefully by then my lazy boy will have at least have learnt to roll over :lol:
  • What you need to encourage him to crawl is a toddler :lol: I'll lend you Millie if you like! Everytime Millie runs past him Barney throws himself full length on the floor and then get really cross cos he can't crawl after her!! Fortunately we don't get a 8 month check here, they do it at 12 months instead. Hopefully by then my lazy boy will have at least have learnt to roll over :lol:
  • James has his check in about 4 weeks and hes the same he likes being on his tummy but cant crawl yet god he even struggles to sit up he would be just happy lying there on his back watching his brther and sister lol

But my other son Leo was sooo different he crawled when he was 6 months old and could sit up and when he went for his check was pulling himself up and walking round furniture and walked by the time he was 10 months my daughter walked by the time she was 11 months and they both spent loads of time in the walkers you wonder if these hv know what they are talking abot lol
    But James my youngest has no inclination to sit up or crawl and he will do it in his own time and if they try and tell me any different they will get told to bugger off lol
  • hey,

I cant beleive that your expected to make your baby cry to get him to do something that he's not worried about doing at the moment! Good for you for not taking her advice!

Great news about the weight gain!

Lisa
  • Well done Gabe for having a good check. Stuff the hv, I've decided they all speak a load of rubbish. He'll crawl and walk when he's ready. S x
  • I hate health visitors although i keep thinking of becoming one so i can be nice to new mummies. I agree with the others that older kids make babies move faster because Erin always progresses loads when she has been with her cousins.

Well done Gabe for the weight gain xx
  • Everyone's gonna hate but I'm going against the grain here! Charlotte hated tummy time (me too!) but I persevered thru all the crying etc until she was finally happy with it and I'm glad I did it really.
    We're all different though and you must do what makes you both happy (which you obvioulsy are).
    Good news on the weight gain! Charlotte never had a 9 month check - her check was at 12 months.
  • Bloody stupid hv!

Nathan has become active quite young but its not because we gave him tumy time or did anything to enourage him - he was just ready. Much like his sister wasnt until much older (cant remember how old now).

Give him a time and he'll do it when hes ready - not when daft hv's demand! You know he's progressing well and thats all that matters.

xxxx
  • I was wondering what Nathan weighs now? The time is going waaay too fast isnt it! aaargh!
  • do they send u a letter when their check is due? ive no idea what age millies is x
  • I was told I'd get a letter 'around' the time Lily is 8 months. It could be before that or just after that.
    xx
  • my little girl didnt hold her head up till 3 months so i had to take her to physio. stuborn little thing:lol: then didnt roll till 8 months crawl till 9/10 and is now walking round furniture at 13 months they all work on their own time line.