Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is this ok??

Hi

My two week old was originally feeding every 2 to 2 1/2 hours for anywhere from 35 mins to an hour. In the last three days she seems to be stretching her feeds to 3 - 3 1/2 hours and is feeding for shorter periods. She has a cold and I don't know if this is the reason and therefore should I wake her up or has she just got more efficient at feeding?? For the first two days of this change her night patterns stayed the same but last night she just wouldn't settle - I don't know if it was the cold or if it was because she hadn't fed as much for the last couple of days??

When do babies normally get more effecient at feeding??? I thought it was later than this so a bit concerned I should be waking her to feed??

Replies

• it could be cuz of her cold.I used to feed grace every 3 hrs to try make sure i got the stores in so she could go longer thru the night.You will probably notice her pattern will change quite a bit in the first few weeks especially thru growth spurts xxx
  • It could the cold, or it could just be that she has got more efficient at feeding and is getting what she needs in less time. I can't remember when my lo started feeding more quickly, but I'm sure that things settled down a lot after the first fortnight- I felt like I was constantly feeding for the first 2 weeks but not so much after that.

I would try to follow her lead as long as she seems happy and settled after feeding. If she keeps having trouble settling at night you could try to increase the feeds in the evening by waking her to feed a little earlier and see if that helps. Was she any better last night?
  • when i had my second LO she was very ill and had to be tube fed with expressed milk for a while - the fantastic nurse that i had told me that babies are fine with 4 hour gaps! babies blood sugars can drop dangerously after 6 hours of no feeding but they recommend a 4 hourly feed to not even let it get that far... so your little one should be fine and doesn't need to be woken. i remember that the feeding pattern stretched considerably after about 2 weeks with mine. also: a good sign to watch for is if nappies are wet which proofs that baby gets enough liquid. a thing that i found also was that my kids needed to feed less at night when i had a good, big meal an hour before the 'night feed'...
  • Thank you for all your help. I started to wake her for feeds after the second unsettled night but it didn't have any effect. She was weighed today and has put on 10oz in a week so definitely feeding enough but the HV believes it is colic (it definitely looked like bad tummy pain last night) and it is the same time every night (11.30pm to 3am). We are trying infacol and I am taking onions and garlic out of my diet to see if that helps
  • My lo doesn't even have feeding trouble at the moment but 11.30 to 2.30 at nite is her wakeful time so i'll be thinking of you later