Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

New to expressing....

Hey

I expressed for the first time this evening using a manual pump (my lo is 14 wks). I expressed for 30 mins and got 2oz using both sides.... I think there would have been more but I didn't seem to be able to get a good seal? I was wet underneath and my bra was damp as if I was leaking.

Is there anything I can do to aid expressing? This is a completely new area to me and up till now have exclusively bf but my hubby is desperate to take me out for the evening so our lo will be home with my mum.

Can I add to a bottle already got ebm in it? What can I do to create a better suction? How many times a day can I express? And will it increase my supply or will my lo get less milk?

Thanks in advance xxx

Replies

• The more you express the more you produce but it seems to be easier to express in the mornings. As for getting a good seal try to make sure your breast is dry before you place the pump on and remember when your baby feeds the nipple faces the roof of the mouth so try to get it in the same position in the pump. But don't worry it does take time. But i wouldn't add to the bottle if it has cooled just use another. even if you only get a couple of oz each time is fine. x
  • Thanks for your reply, but I forgot to check here this morning before expressing so I expressed into the bottle I filled last night - ooops!! Will it do any harm? I managed 3oz at 10am and she had already had 2 feeds from me.

I got a better seal this morning, discovered Lansinoh nipple cream rubbed round the inside of the bit placed against the breast creates a good suction
  • MrsT, I think you're ok to add to the same bottle as long as it's within 24 hours. Have you tried lo with a bottle yet? I had the same idea as you about going out but my lo had other ideas and won't take a bottle!
  • Hiya, yes it's ok to add to the previous bottle, but you calculate how long it's good for from the time of the first express (hope that makes sense!)

If I remember you are using a Tommee Tippee pump, I found mine really bad for leaking, I always use a towel under my boob to catch the drips, nothing worse than a damp feeling!

Corinna x
  • Hi, it's one of those things, where practise makes perfect. The more you do it the better you'll get! When I first expressed I almost fainted, it was just really weird for me. But I carried on and I think the best thing you can do is just relax while doing it, you get more milk that way. I did it while watching the soaps. The first time I expressed I got 2oz, then after a few weeks I ended up with 1 pint through the course of a day and you can add ebm into milk that is in your fridge as long as the milk is no more than 24 hours old. If you freeze it it was stay in there between 6-12 months depending on how powerful and how often you open your freezer. xox

[Modified by: ~yummy_mummy~ on February 25, 2009 10:48 PM]

• I've expressed tonight as hubby gave her the 5oz ebm I got last night/this morning (so I haven't fed her myself since 5pm) and managed 4oz which is a 2oz increase on last night.

She took the bottle this evening, not sure if it was a combination of warmed milk and feeding her not long after she woke up so she wasn't starving hungry and screaming.... it took her 30 minutes to take 5oz, she went in the bath very milky drunk and relaxed, has been asleep since...
  • Hi Mrs T,
    I have also just started expressing this morning and got 1 oz out after BF LO. I have a few questions for you and anybody else who can help - if you don't mind.

You mentioned that you got 2oz out using both sides - was this over 2 separate times and working out to be 1oz each?

When you got 3oz the second time - so this was an increase from the last time then? Was this using both sides or one? Did you bf before expressing? How long was it after expressing that you fed your lo again and was your milk supply okay?

I have been trying to realign the pump to my breast (taking it off and refixing it on) at several points over the 30 minutes - I think so I could see if I was producing any milk. Did you just keep the breast pump on your breast and not move it during the full 30 minutes?

How long does your lo feed for on the breast before expressing?

hope you can help.

Thanks

Susan
  • You mentioned that you got 2oz out using both sides - was this over 2 separate times and working out to be 1oz each?

On my first go (night before last) I got an oz each side, first attempt.

When you got 3oz the second time - so this was an increase from the last time then? Was this using both sides or one? Did you bf before expressing? How long was it after expressing that you fed your lo again and was your milk supply okay?

The 3oz was yesterday morning at 10am, I'd fed her twice before expressing. First feed was 7am and second feed was around 9.30. I used both sides, think I got 1oz from one and 2oz from the other and would have probably got more from the side that was less but I think I got bored/handache....! After that express we went out and then tried to feed her ebm from the bottle when we came home, but she got quite distressed and so she fell asleep in her moses basket for nearly an hr, then we went to baby clinic. So her next feed was around 2pm.

I have been trying to realign the pump to my breast (taking it off and refixing it on) at several points over the 30 minutes - I think so I could see if I was producing any milk. Did you just keep the breast pump on your breast and not move it during the full 30 minutes?

Same as you, took it off once or twice on each side just to check how much there was although I could see I was producing milk as I could hear it hitting the bottom of the bottle!!!

How long does your lo feed for on the breast before expressing?

My lo is 14 wks now and shes quick, she can feed for 10 mins and be perfectly happy for 2.5 hrs or she can be feeding for 20 mins depending on how hungry she is

Hope this helps xx
  • thanks Mrs T, you have been really helpful. Hows expressing for you today? Did your lo drink her milk from the bottle in the end?

what pump do you have?

what is your plan for expressing ie how many times during the day, mornings/nights etc?

I found it quite time consuming. did get more out the second time this morning, so have slightly over 2 oz from 2 expressings this am.

thanks for your help.
  • Did your lo drink her milk from the bottle in the end?
    Yes she did! We found that although the bottle was at room temperature, warming the milk in a pan of boiling water for a couple of mins seemed to make the difference, she took the bottle without complaint.

what pump do you have?
    Tommee Tippee closer to nature manual, but I find it quite restrictive and need both hands, if I continue to express then I may look into an electric type

what is your plan for expressing ie how many times during the day, mornings/nights etc?

I'm not sure yet, I'm going to the breastfeeding support group on Monday and my hv is coming out for a visit on Tues so am going to seek advice. I don't really know enough about expressing yet (apart from the basics e.g. storage of milk) am sort of winging it abit atm