Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

having a pool for home water birth?

I want a homebirth, and have been thinking all along that I didn't want a waterbirth. I don't like having baths or swimming normally, not finding them relaxing, and thought I probably wouldn't find being in water helpful and couldn't be bothered with the whole setting it up at home. However at my NCT class last night I started to wonder if I'm making the right decision - the whole session was on pain relief, and water is apparently second best only to an epidural as a pain relief option. I didn't realise how good it could be. My OH thinks we should definitely get a pool in, saying at least it's there as an option rather than ruling it out straightaway but I'm still not sure I like the idea! Does anyone have any advice? Also is it best to hire or buy a pool?

Replies

• Hi,
    I have a long way till my birth dont really have any advice but I am also hoping for a home water birth, I did some research on the internet and found a website reccomending using the lazy spa, which my dad bought last year! So I am planning to use this!
    xx
  • Hi,
    I have a long way till my birth dont really have any advice but I am also hoping for a home water birth, I did some research on the internet and found a website reccomending using the lazy spa, which my dad bought last year! So I am planning to use this!
    xx
  • I have brought a birthing pool from Ebay however I really love water. Although I am sure that water is an extremely good natural pain relief however I can imagine this would only work if you like water and feel comfortable in it otherwise it could potentially have the opposite effect. I have purchased a birth pool in a box from ebay brand new for approx ??70.
    Good luck
  • I'm the same I don't remember the last bath i had and i have to be talked into the pool on holiday but i wouldn't want anything but a water birth. I found the water great pain relief. Look on e-bay for a pool and if you don't use it you can always re sell it. X
  • Hi I think that you are right to consider it as an option even if you don't usually like water - I found that being in the pool during my labour was so wonderful and all that I needed for pain relief.
    A friend has had 4 home births and had a pool for each one but got out for 2 of the births so felt differently for each one. I couldn't now think of having a baby anywhere else but in water!!
    As Michelle says, why not get one then sell it on after xx
  • thanks for the advice - i guess it does seem sensible to keep it as an option. best get one ordered then!
  • Im thinking about it, i know I want a natural birth but the hospital im due to give birth at only has one pool so its a bit of a lottery im afraid. I found this great story of a waterbirth if people are interested! http://my.bounty.com/forums/post/136/1740068/1/2/1/Coco-Olivia-is-here!.htm hope you find it interesting. As this is my first baby, im trying to read lots of birth stories to prepare - doubt anything will really prepare me though right ladies! hee hee x
  • I decided to get a pool, my NCT teacher found a birth-pool-in-a-box locally for ??50 - just filling it up now to see how long it takes!
  • I bought a birthpool in a box for my first pregnancy. I loved it. when you've over done it at the gym or in the garden and then get in the bath and your muscles kind of go `ahhh', it's like that but bigger and better. I got to 6cms at home on dry land and had a bath but was genuinely begining to think I couldn't do it and would need drugging and carting off to hospital. Midwife then arrived and said I could get in the pool, all of a sudden, despite gas and air running out, I could cope. Contractions still hurt, obviously but they were back on the right side of survivable. Baby born and skin to skin in pool, he was very calm, it was bliss. Can't wait to do it again!
  • thank you secret me, your story is very reassuring! when I put up my pool for a test run last weekend it felt lovely to be in it - took all the weight off so I can see better how it might help in labour. Looking forward to trying it for real now!