Forum home Babies Baby

Nappy Rash, PLease help!

Nathan has got his first really bad bout of nappy rash. He is teething at the moment so I think its probably down to this but he went to nursery with none and has come home absolutley red raw and is clearly in some pain and discomfort.
I have bathed him today and just washed him with aqueous cream and then covered him in sudocream. Should I wake him to change him again and add more cream before I go to bed or do you think I just risk upsetting him? I'm really worried he'll wake in the morning even worse if I leave it all night.

Replies

• Does he wake in the night? Maybe you should leave it a couple more hours cuz he'll be weeing more in the clean nappy. When you put the sudocrem on only use a small amount and rub it til it's virtually disappeared, if you can still see the white cream, you've used too much. This is the mistake I make with the 1st, thinking the more I use the better, but the skin needs to breath. If you carry on doing what you're doing, it won't be long at all before it's all cleared up! Poor Nathan, you should have a word with someone in charge in the nursery, say he's never had it before in his life! xox
  • Does he wake in the night? Maybe you should leave it a couple more hours cuz he'll be weeing more in the clean nappy. When you put the sudocrem on only use a small amount and rub it til it's virtually disappeared, if you can still see the white cream, you've used too much. This is the mistake I make with the 1st, thinking the more I use the better, but the skin needs to breath. If you carry on doing what you're doing, it won't be long at all before it's all cleared up! Poor Nathan, you should have a word with someone in charge in the nursery, say he's never had it before in his life! xox
  • Sorry gatecrashing from pregnancy!

Just wanted to let you know that if you use too much sudocreme it will interfere with the nappy's absorption and make nappy rash even worse. (as it will actually trap moisture next to the skin).

as Lara said, other creams are loadds better.
  • I always use waay too much sudocrem (I think!) Will def not use as much now. I do find its the best thing though, but I've never tried metanium.

I would change him, if you use cotton wool & warm (!) water he might not even wake up...it depends what stage of sleep he's in. Sometimes Gabe is obviously in a deep sleep so deep I can hardly see him breathing but othertimes he seems to wake at the slightest noise.

Gabe's nappies have been leaking overnight lately (maybe a result of sudocrem as he too has had a rash lately?) so i sometimes change them when I go to bed!
  • I have covered him in it!!! He has had a midly sore bum right in his crack before now but this is all over, poor thing.
    As I may have used too much I am going to give it till about 9pm and then change him, if it hasnt absorbed then I can rub it in a bit, if it has I think I'll put a tiny bit more. That way if I do wake him too much its not to late to settle him again before I get tired as he normally sleeps really well at night.

Thanks for the advice, I cant get out to pick up anything else tonight as oh is out so fingers crossed this works.
  • i cannot rate metanium enough,its fantastic stuff!! in a yellow tube and its quite thick in texture and also bright yellow in colour so watch u dnt get it on anything as it does stain! i fiond it starts to clear the nappy rash within a couple of uses xxx
  • I thought I'd let you know that after reading your responses I had a look on the sudocream site and it confirmed that you should only use a small amount to avoid "clogging" up the nappy.

I decided to change him straight away in case he was going to end up sleeping in a pool of wee. Fortunately the cream has more a less all absorbed so I added a tiny bit more and rubbed it all in really well. Although Nathan started to wake and did flinch a bit when I rubbed certain areas he didnt cry and has settled straight back down (touch wood). This evening I could barely touch it lightly without him crying and in clear pain so really pleased that he managed just now ok. It looked like it was less sore already although I did change him in the dark so was hard to tell. He's also got a fresh nappy in case the other was ruined by the cream.

It always amazes me just how worried we get as mums about these pretty minor things - I just hate seeing him in pain. Thanks again for the advice and fingers crossed he's better tommorrow.
  • definitely on the metanium train its great!
    glad to hear when you changed him though he wasn't too unsettled with it and fingers crossed it'll be away in no time xo
  • jason usually gets nappy rash in his crack as u sais lol! n underneath his winky (that what oh calls it) but it's one lot of sudocream (always seem to rear just as i'm getting him ready for bed for some reason) at night n it's gone by the morning. he's 10 months & yet to have a bad case of it! *crosses fingers*
    Hope Nathan gets better soon
  • Metanium is much better than Sudocrem for bad nappy rash. Clears it up much quicker. Only use a tiny amount of it though so you can see skin thru the cream.
    Other than that just use warm water & cotton wool when changing and try and give him some nappy free time during the day to let the air get to his sore bum!