Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

£800 bill

i've just had a bill for ??800 from nhs for overpayment of my salary! i left in october and they claim they paid me too much. i'm really fed up as they issued a p45 and everything which will now have to be changed.

i can't believe i didn't notice and they want a cheque but i can't just pay ??800?

Replies

• Oh my god that's awful! Have you gone back through your payslips/bank statements to double check? x
  • I doubt very much that they can just ask for a check - suspect that payroll and HR are taking this route in the hope that you cough up quietly and no one gets into trouble, you need to threaten to kick up a stink about this. Don't know if this will help but -

http://www.lemon-co.co.uk/article_overpayments.php

Are you positive they have overpaid you?
  • Oh hun this is awful!!!

They cannot just demand you pay it back if they did over pay you.

I would suggest going to citizen advice and seeing what route they suggest to take.. xxx
  • If you can't see where the overpayment has come from, phone them and ask. If it's fair dues and you have been overpaid tell them you're willing to pay it back, but you can't afford to give them a lump sum. They SHOULD be reasonable and work out an affordable repayment plan for you. If you don't feel you should have to pay it back contact citizens advice, but unfortunately you may have no option and refusal to repay may lead to small claims court. Good luck!
  • I think they can ask for it back if it is an overpayment but they certainly have to offer you re-payment terms that you both agree on. I would double check that you agree with the over-payment and if so, contact them and ask for a re-payment arrangement. If they are anything like our company, as long as you make an effort to re-pay by agreeing to pay something each month, however small, they are happy as ultimately it's their mistake.
  • I work in payroll and the vast majority of my time is taken up with overpayments. For live employees these are usually recovered over a set period but as you have terminated they will obviously chance their luck and ask for the full amount back immediately. You should be able to work out a repayment plan with them though as whether you spent the money or not (we argue that people will usually know they've been overpaid) it was still their error.
    Good luck! x
  • thank you! i've tried to ring them but no one answering! i'll keep trying!

hubby said tell them 'tight one!' but i don't think thats very helpful!

i've got all my payslips as i'll check but they do have a habit of messing up! so glad i don't work for them anymore!

if i do owe money i'll ask about repayment and do it on drip as slow as possible!

lottie and neve i'll just go check that link!

thanks again ladies- stopped me panicking x

i've just read the link and it seems if i do owe them i have a case to pay it back in installments

[Modified by: mrsblue on March 03, 2009 12:59 PM]

• Do you belong to a union? They would be a good start if you do.
  • Hi hun. My hubby was overpaid a months salary from his previous education authority. As it was just before our wedding when we found out hubby told them they could have ??20per month as we didn't want to give them the lump sum and the council accepted this. Lisa 15+4 x
  • Hi hun. My hubby was overpaid a months salary from his previous education authority. As it was just before our wedding when we found out hubby told them they could have ??20per month as we didn't want to give them the lump sum and the council accepted this. Lisa 15+4 x
  • yes i'm in a union and i'll probably get in touch with them!

i rang and spoke to the man who wrote the letter and he was really confusing- i asked him to send me evidence of this overpayment and he said he wouldn't discuss it futher and put the phone down!

so they can swing for their money if thats the attitude!
  • This happened to me at my old work place (also nhs). Ive paid back ??35 a month for the last 6 years!! Last payment in July!!xx
  • I would advise you not to ignore it mrsblue, if you got no joy from whoever signed the letter ask to speak to a manager. Explain that you've already spoken to "mr X" but you're not happy with the information he provided and you need more clarification. The quicker you get it sorted the easier it'll be to sort out a resonable repayment plan.
  • I agree, they won't let it go, you'll have to pay it back, as frustrating as it!x
  • i've just rang the mnager and she is going to look into it and ring me back tomorrow!

i've also spoken to my accountant who is writing to request written details.

just glad i don't work there anymore.

• Hi MrsBlue, Im a Finance Manager and often get caught up in things like this. By law you have to pay it back (if the overpayment is right) . The employer is perfectly entitled to ask for it but they have to be 'reasonable' and take into account your personal circumstances.

Having dealt with people regarding overpayments, if you are alright with them, they will be ok with you. Id say stay calm explain your situation and tell them you understand and fully prepared to pay it back but would like to discuss the terms.

If you get funny with them, they can be just as awkward if they want to be !

Good luck xx
  • Speak to ACAS, employment laws etc and see what they suggest
  • thats awful, i got over paid by ??300 when i worked at my school cleaning about 10 years ago!!! god LOL and i paid them back something like ??50 a month, they cant just ask for the money back in a lump sum im sure hun, good luck xx