Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Question about being RH Neg

Hi girls as you know I was told I am RH neg but hubby who give blood is O pos does this mean he has to be RH pos as well or can you have somebody who is O pos but be RH neg?? Sorry thats a silly question I know.

K xx
18+3

Replies

• i really dont know hun but im sure someone will. xxxx
  • No your rhesus neg and he is pos, hope that helps, but baby could be either ????? you dont know u ntil the babys born xxxx
  • No your rhesus neg and he is pos, hope that helps, but baby could be either ????? you dont know u ntil the babys born xxxx
  • I think I understand what you mean - no if you are O pos you are rh pos.

The pos or neg just means if your blood cells have the antigen coating. this is what nation blood say:

The Rh system

Still with us?

Well, it gets more complicated here on in, because there's another antigen to be considered - the Rh antigen.

Some of us have it, some of us don't.

If it is present, the blood is RhD positive, if not it's RhD negative.

So, for example, some people in group A will have it, and will therefore be classed as A+ (or A positive).

While the ones that don't, are A- (or, wait for it...A negative).

And so it goes for groups B, AB and O.

This effectively doubles the number of different blood types to be matched, because you shouldn't mix blood type A+ with blood type A-.

84% of the population is Rh positive.

(And yes, that means the other 16% of the population is running around with Rh negative blood.)

• Hi, as he is Rh pos it means you really do have to have the anti-D injections.

As with most things, you inherit 2 copies of the gene from your parents. The Rh pos gene is dominant over the Rh neg gene.

This means for you that you have 2 copies of the Rh neg gene. You husband could be 1 of 2 types. He could have 2 copies of the Rh pos gene, or 1 copy of the Rh pos gene and 1 copy of the Rh neg gene.
    This means you baby will be 1 of 2 types.
    The baby will inherit either 2 copies of the Rh neg gene (making it Rh neg), or 1 copy of the Rh neg gene (from you) and 1 copy of the Rh pos gene (from hubby) making the baby Rh pos.

I really really wouldnt worry about it too much. Its only really an issue if you have already formed your own Anti_d antibody, which you havent as it would have been picked up in your initial blood work up.

Hope that helps, and I havent confused you more. Its part of my job so I can go on for hours about blood groups!
  • Thats great thank you girls,I am feeling so much better about all this now. I have read a ton of things about it so that makes it all seem so less scary than how she was saying it.

K xx
    18+3