Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Where to sleep baby at first?

Hi
I was not sure about whether to buy a moses basket for the baby to sleep in when I first come home, I wanted to have the baby in with us for a few weeks and then the plan is to put baby into the nursery in the cot.
It's our first baby so wondered what you guys thought? Is their asn alternative to a moses basket?

Helen
xxxx

22 weeks today

Replies

• i will have the baby in a swinging crib in our room until they are sleeping through the night (not feeding at night) then will put him in cot in nursery. i kept brooke in with us for the 1st 6 months i think coz i love having her there, even tho she slept thro from 10 weeks!

you could always use a travel cot at least u will get use out of that going away etc. if u only intend on having baby in with u for a little while.
  • We're having the baby in a crib in our bedroom too and will transfer him to the cot in his nursery when the time feels right. I was going to use the carrycot from the pram for during the day but might get a cheap moses baskets too just in case.

Bec 30+3 x
  • hi

I am so glad I posted I will definately be keeping baby in with us for 6 months now, there is so much to find out I am going to be a nervous wreck when this little person is here I can tell you
    xxxxx
  • they reccomend that baby is in with the parents for the first 6 months.
    we have a crib for in our room and a moses basket for downstairs. i dont like the idea of moses baskets for over night, but thats just my personal preference.

beccie
    37+5
  • they reccomend that baby is in with the parents for the first 6 months.
    we have a crib for in our room and a moses basket for downstairs. i dont like the idea of moses baskets for over night, but thats just my personal preference.

beccie
    37+5
  • Well we were going to put the baby in a carrycot in the cot straight away, but have since read that they should be in your room for the first six months so am now going to buy a crib to go in our room

20+1 xxx
  • Im planning on having baby in a moses basket in our room - if it outgrows the moses basket before 6 months Ill put it in the cot in its own room i think but have got enough room to put the cot in our room if we need to

xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev207pr___.png

• hi it is recommended that baby is in with u for 6 months, moses baskets last up to 12 weeks but some babies are out of them by 6-8 weeks, cribs are slightly bigger and wld last a good 4-6 months but u can't take a crib into other rooms with u during the day as they're heavy and solid. travel cots are not recommended for long term sleeping, a week or two maximum. they are not supportive enough for a growing babies spine and really shld only be used as the name suggests, for travelling. much like u wldn't sleep on a camp bed for any length of time as it wld not support u properly and cld cause u problems later on.

xxx 39+1
  • Hi,
    We have gone for an Amby Hammock as an alternative to a moses basket/crib as it should last till baby is at least 6months old. It also helps to prevent colic and flat head which is a bonus as well as encouraging baby to self soothe with the bouncing/swinging motion of the hammock.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Hiya my lil girl is goin in the cot at the nite but its in our room as i dnt want her in with my lil boy coz hes a light sleeper, and when my son was a baby i did the same thing but was living with my mam and dad and there was no where else for him to go lol, i got a moses basket for the day tho
    Gemma 26+3 xxx