Forum home Babies Baby

Chocolate buttons :\?

So, we were driving home on Sunday and I was searching in the glove box for something yummy to nibble on and dh brought out from his door pocket the remnants of a pack of giant chocolate buttons - yummy - aa I was happily munching on a few, I said to dh, I wonder when we will give lo his first chocolate button and he said "never - it is a bit like smoking"?!?

What do you think?

When did you introduce your lo to the dreaded chocolate?

I think our lo will have some yummy buttons one day and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being dh that gives them to him, just to see his wide eyes!

Replies

• We haven't yet, as to be honest and I've said it here before I am concerned that lo will end up huge like me! Clearly at 8 months and as very active as he is a few choccy buttons won't hurt at all and in some ways it makes sure he'll have a proper balanced diet.
    Was planning to fill a decorated cardboard Easter egg with some for his Easter pressie as the rest of the children will be having them and I can then spread them out over time (& possibly helping him with some too!).
    Not sure I would class choccy buttons in the same catergory as smoking mind but do think the idea of everything in moderation is a good one to live by. Also, if you're stoped from having somethings they're the things you'll crave even more I would think.
  • Sorry it said my post hadn't come up so I rewrote it and then its appeared grrrrrrrr bloomin' BE! :\)

[Modified by: Mum to 1 on March 16, 2009 04:57 PM]

• hi hun, i've always been against giving "young" babies (i would say upto about 10months) rubbish food. after some posts i made months back though i know i'm pretty much on my own with that veiw point!

In moderation, of course chocolate won't do any harm so long as any teeth they have get brushed, but the reason i am against it as i just feel the chocolate has no nutritional benefit for them, and other treats ie fruit, which yes, contain sugar, and are sweet - do have nutritional benefit to them as well as the natural sugars. I also feel at that age babies do not understand the concept of treats, and what they've never had, the aren't missing out on. Evie probably did have the odd lick of my choclate bar or what ever but i didn't intentionally give her a piece until about 11months, and even now at 16 months she rarely has any, and does understand that when she has it it is because she has been a good girl.

Sorry for the ramble, i don't think anybody is a "bad parent" for giving choccy young (unless it's excessive) i just think it's unneccesary and that theres PLENTY of time once they can talk and ask for chocolate, for them to enjoy it then!!
  • p.s. i wouldnt liken chocolate to smoking - that's a bit extreme!!
  • I gave Louise a couple of white chocolate buttons once but havn't again since. My mum thinks that she should be allowed them once she is old enough to know that they are a treat. I can see her point! Me and dh are torn though about giving them now so we havn't given them to her since that first time trying them. I personally dont see what harm a few milkybar buttons can do though!

I definately wouldn't put them in the same catagory as smoking as they do not contain incedibly addictive ingrediants and do not knowingley cause cancer.
  • I agree with Mum to 1 - everything in moderation. I also think the reason i am such a chocoholic nowadays (seriously, i break out in a sweat if i really want choccy but can't have it) is because such a fuss was made about it when i was little and so i used to grab it at every available oportunity and hide it from my mum!

My lo will be allowed a teeny bit, but i hope he'll be like his dad - he can take it or leave it when it comes to choccy! x
  • Millie first had chocolate at about 12 months, although she had had baby chocolate pudding before that, she now adores the stuff but only gets any about once a week. Not in any hurry to give it to Barney, particularly as I tried him with choc pudding a couple of weeks ago and he looked at me like I was trying to poison him and then refused to eat it, making chocolate the only thing he has ever refused to eat :lol:
    xx

P.S. Linzimc, you are not alone with that viewpoint, I figure there is plenty of time for junk when they are old enough to ask for it!!
  • I have given them Gabe (10 months) on several occasions. Him and his cousin (15 months) share a pack, maybe once or twice a week, and they can't get enough lol. I would say they're his favourite thing next to pears, bananas and tea! :lol:

I totally agree with JamDonut re. chocolate, I grew up with a very healthy diet but still am overweight now cos I always saw chocolate as naughty and yummy. Not that I blame my mum for my weight lol, cos that's my own fault and I've lost a stone now, but there are disadvantages to only giving foods as treats.

xx

• I think mine were about 9 months or so when they first had chocolate, I agree that everything in moderation is fine, although my mum did give Isaac (whos 2 next month) a whole packet of jelly tots today, she doesnt have him often but I was not particularly happy about it, I dont like the way the jelly sticks to their little teeth, not to mention the choking point and the fact that it was a whole packet. Never mind though like I said she doesnt do it often.
  • Evie turned one at the beginning of this month and, whilst I'd never refuse her chocolate, it's not something she (or big bro) have on a regular basis at home. When we go to Granny and Grandad's Joe (who's nearly 4) makes a beeline for the treat cupboard and has one, maybe 2, small packets of buttons and a carton of juice. Hadn't realised Evie had clocked the cupboard until we went last weekend and she practically raced Joe to the cupboard and shouted til she was given a pack too! Got some fab pics of her smeared in chocolate!
  • Charlotte had her 1st bit of proper choccie when she was 10 months in an advent calendar. Before then she never really liked it anyway. I don't buy her any choccie on a daily/weekly basis although treated her to some milky bar buttons last week but I had most of them - lol!!
    Everything in moderation I say. My sis gives her 2 lo's quite a bit of choccie snacks and I don't really agree with that. She gave me a mini roll to give to Charlotte last week - no way!!
  • I eat so much chocolate that I'm sure I produced chocolate milk, lol. When my lo has chocolate we tend to share a packet of chcolate buttons 1 for you, 2 for me kind of thing LoL. I think anything and everything in moderation is good for them.

Kerry, Freya and Pink Bump 34weeks
    X X X
  • I definately wouldn't put them in the same catagory as smoking as they do not contain incedibly addictive ingrediants and do not knowingley cause cancer.

Hehehe, that gave me a good giggle, thank you Loopy Loo!
  • i havent given Braedon any choc or crisps or junk food so far, and i dont think i will for a while, my dd didnt have anything like that till she was about 18mths old.
    bit extreme comparing it to smoking i feel xxx
  • With my first she didnt have ne thing like that till she was at least one and a half, nearer two. I dont think she even had Maccy Ds till she was nearly 2 either!! However with babies 2 and 3 theyve had buttons from around 8 months, just a couple mind. Its a bit harder to restrict things like this once they see their older siblings tucking in! Choc buttons dont do then ne harm tho, everything in moderation. x x x
  • ok well when i was pregnant i ate healthy i took vitamins and i only ever wanted my daughter to eat healthy foods. i expressed to both families that daisy would not be eating sweets chocolate etc and there was no need cus she loves fruit. but she got to 8 months and tbh i wanted to be the first to give her chocolate and seeing in laws giving her some of their cream and egg custard etc i knew they would soon be givinh her anything that they ate. i was due back to work and my oh takes her up ther on a saturday. we gave her three or four buttons after her tea evry couple of nights. by xmas she had an advent calendar she was 10 months then and now she does prob have chocolate evry night few buttons after her tea.
    Me and my oh eat chocolate and enjoy it, Daisy isnt a great eater at all and has actually been loosing weight recently so im just happy she will eat anything. one thing daisy does like eating is fruit so im happy for her to have chocolate as a treat after her meal and hopefully she will learn that treats are something you have after a meal rather trhan snacking on during the day.
  • ok well when i was pregnant i ate healthy i took vitamins and i only ever wanted my daughter to eat healthy foods. i expressed to both families that daisy would not be eating sweets chocolate etc and there was no need cus she loves fruit. but she got to 8 months and tbh i wanted to be the first to give her chocolate and seeing in laws giving her some of their cream and egg custard etc i knew they would soon be givinh her anything that they ate. i was due back to work and my oh takes her up ther on a saturday. we gave her three or four buttons after her tea evry couple of nights. by xmas she had an advent calendar she was 10 months then and now she does prob have chocolate evry night few buttons after her tea.
    Me and my oh eat chocolate and enjoy it, Daisy isnt a great eater at all and has actually been loosing weight recently so im just happy she will eat anything. one thing daisy does like eating is fruit so im happy for her to have chocolate as a treat after her meal and hopefully she will learn that treats are something you have after a meal rather trhan snacking on during the day.
  • i agree everything in moderation .....jack had chocolate when he was 6 months just a couple of chocolate buttons a week now he probably has chocolate every day at some point ,i dont see anything wrong with him having a little bit after tea every night ,its generally used by me to keep him awake when he is flagging after tea and i just need him to keep going for another hour ...some may think this is wrong but i really think if u with-hold food it creates huge problems in the future where food is concerned ....i think my parents play a huge part in the way i cant just leave food on my plate and feel i have to eat every mouthful instead of stopping when im full ,i never make jack finish his tea just as long as he gives it a good go im happy ....sorry slightly off topic but just an example of how we can influence the way our children will try things they want to no matter how much we withold it when they are young .....

also its no where near the same as smoking i love chocolate ,i HATE smoking ....

lisa xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Ollie has it a couple of times a week, but only that often since he reached 1, before then it was the odd button here or there - if you give him a choice between fruit and choc he'll go for the fruit first image
    I'd say once they're old enough to know what it is then let them have the odd one or two - I've been a bad mummy and used a full packet of them as a bribe to keep him quiet a few times when I've had to take him to staff meetings and such... Now I take a packet of raisins and a banana or orange as they seem to work better! :lol:

I dont see a problem with a few now and again, as I know that anything I wasn't allowed when i was younger became a compulsion to buy and hide from my dad once I was old enough to.... and I'd hate for Ollie or Missy to do that (although I'm sure there will be things!)

xx