Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any one elses lo had thrush??

Hi girls,

I took jack to the doctors the other day cos he's been full of cold and had then develped what i thought was a chesty cough. Anyhow apparently the cough is fine but while i was there i mentioned about this little rash that jack had just about his little tail. The dr said it was thrush and gave me a prescription for him for athletes foot canestan cream!!! Have been using this now for the last few days but this rash seems to have got worse rather than better, well its now more just red han an actual rash. Just wondered if anyone elses lo had had this and whether this is normal or if i should be taking him back to the dr's. It doesn't seem to be hurting him i don't think but when he's not got his nappy on he does try & itch it.

Any advice would be much appreciated

x x

Replies

• Hi,

Sorry did try to reply to this yesterday but it got eaten then my lo needed a feed so didn't have the time to get back to you...will copy this just incase, I'm new to all this!

My eldest (now 2 and a half) had awful nappy rash last year which the usual metanium and nappy free time couldn't fix. We took her to the doctors as it was red raw and she was screaming when we changed her nappy. She said it was thrush and we were given the same canesten cream as you. After 2 days using this she was even worse, we had to shower off her bottom when she had a poo then let it air dry as it was so sore. We took her back and saw another doctor who said that canesten isn't strong enough in most cases of thrush like this and we were given steroid cream instead (sorry don't know what it was called). This was a lot better and within a week or so the thrush and soreness had gone.

I don't know if this helps but if the canesten isn't working I'd go back and see what else they can give you. Good luck with it!
  • Poor little thing! I'd take your lo back to the doctors as the cream shouldn't make it worse.
  • hi im gatecrashing from pregnancy my youngest daughter whos 3 sufferes with recurrant thrush and the canesten wasnt touching it either its just an angry red resh in between her bits and makes her cry when she wees shes now on hydrocortisone which might be the steroid cream donk is on about it clears up after 2 days using it but she gets it at least once a month so like to keep it in hope your lill man will be better soon
    claire x
    32+1
  • thanks for your replies girls, it doesn't seem as bad today so i'll stick with the canestan for the next couple of days and then go back to dr's if it doesn't seem any better. x
  • thanks for your replies girls, it doesn't seem as bad today so i'll stick with the canestan for the next couple of days and then go back to dr's if it doesn't seem any better. x