Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

40 + 1 and still no baby!.. really dont want to be induced!.

Has anyone refused to be induced (providing baby is safe of course)...

They can only pop my waters because of a previous c section... but i really dont want any induction unless absolutely necessary...

If anyone has gone down this road.. please could you advise me of how things went (ie. how long overdue you went and how the birth was etc).. Did they monitor the baby very closely... etc...
so many questions sorry!...

many thanks
xxx

Replies

• hiya...

why are you worried about being induced???

i was induced at 37 weeks, and it was such a fantastic experience! ... i was worried (complications etc), but it all went so well, i was in total control of the situation, and we got our own room and the staff were wonderful, we got snacks, meals, tea, coffee and plenty of reassurance and one on one time with the midwife (s) that was looking after us.

i dont know if youve read my birth story ( i think i posted it around 17th december - have a read if you can find it ) i was booked in for 15th dec at 8am, had a 1 hour monitoring session between 9am and 10am, where i was on heart monitor for beanie, at 10am i had first lot of gel, and within 20 mins i was having contractions 5 mins apart. i was checked on every hour, and baby was monitored the whole time, and i was able to walk about freely. I had my waters broken at 4pm, epidural at 6pm and archie was born at 9.30pm on 15th. i had full onset of labour for about 6 hours, rest of it was mild contractions, up until around 3pm.

you really have nothing to worry about, just go with the flow because the more relaxed you are the better the induction will go. i had no birth plan (apart from oh being there and him cutting cord) and we both really enjoyed the experience and id do it 100 times over (but obviously without the end result as we only want one child lol)

if you have any questions please feel free to ask or email me

good luck and im sure baby will come when he/she is ready

xx
  • hi there..
    its because i had an awful experience of being induced with my first child....

it took three times for the stuff to work then to go into real fast labour for 20 hours... (i had the epidural too).. and ended up with emergency c-section....

im absolutely petrified of being induced again (as they will only break my waters due to previous section)...

i know others have had good experience but mine was just awful...

im petrified of having the epidural again too... as they got it in the wrong place in my back three times.... it was the most painful thing ive ever had to endure...

glad yours went better honey...
    thanks so much for your input . i appreciate your response.
    em x
  • Hi

You can refuse induction and any other intervention they suggest - it is your baby your body. The alternative is regular monitoring and they would suggest scans past your due date to check fluid levels and also dopplers to check the placenta is functioning properly. They may also ask you to attend ANDU regularly for CTG monitoring as well. Obviously they would then be able to pick up any issues and if there are any may again suggest induction but if every is functioning fine then there would be no need.

I know your not having a homebirth but the following website has some very good info on going postdates and refusing induction:

www.homebirth.org.uk

go to the 'you can't a homebirth because' section and click on postdates, and then on the link that says 'overdue but desperate for a homebirth'. It has a link about refusing induction and also has a link for other sites about refusing induction.

I also intended to refuse induction with my second baby mainly because I had been advised too by the midwifes because of my reaction to the pessary and the effect it had on my baby.

I had a reaction to the pessary and it sent my baby into fetal distress. I had a quick labour which was a positive but would never allow it to hapen again. This pregnancy the consultant wanted to induce again. I didn't want it and didn't feel it was necessary under the circumstances however because of other reasons I then opted for private care who also felt that induction wasn't necessary and went into labour naturally at 40 + 4.Hopefully you will too in the next few days but read the website for further info on going postdates and refusing induction jusst in case that's the road you want to go down.
  • wow.. thanks so much for all your advise ladies...
    i am feeling a bit better about it today actually. i think its because im now passed the due date im having to accept that this may happen...
    no signs really though apart from on and off cramping...
    just so hope its soon...
    very frustrating when you want to see your baby isnt it. just want to know she's okay!

thanks again for taking the time. i really do appreciate it.

xxx