Forum home Babies Baby

cold

jessica is 11 weks and has a cold. :cry:

mainly started today, shes all snuffly and seems blocked and her nose has been running.

is there anything that would help her breath more easily? :\?

[Modified by: thediscodiva on 24 March 2009 16:44:13 ]

Replies

• i know exactly where you are coming from! evie has had snuffles since she was a few weeks old and last week bloody MIL came over when she had a cold and now we all have it grrrrrrrrr!

when jessica is 3 months old she can use snuffle babe, or karvol capsules.
    for now you can get some saline nasal drops which you put up her nose 4x a day. this works well for evie. we also prop one end of her cot up so she's not lying flat, it helps to stop all the mucus collecting. we were also told to take her into the bathroom with the shower on and sit in the steam for 10 mins as this can clear the congestion,.
    i found this www.4little1.com and bought the room vapour drops which i add to a bowl of hot water everynight and leave by the cot. its the only thing you can use from birth, it helps clear the congestion.
    thats all you can do really until she is 3 months and can use other things, hope this helps!
    xx
  • nasasol loosens the snot. She's not far off 3months at which point you can use karvol and snufflebabe (baby version of vicks).
  • thanks. she not far off 3 months. could i put the karvol capsules on a muslin cloth in her crib?
  • yeah thats exactly what you do, the vapours will waft around and help her breath easier x
  • do you think i could give her some liquid baby paracetamol?
  • I'd be wary of giving calpol or similar unless she has a temperature or is in pain, but then I'm wary of giving anything not prescribed in general.

You could always pop in and ask a pharmacist if you have one nearby, but nasosal and steam are the best remedies I've found!
  • the past 2 nights we have given evie calpol, only 2.5ml and only as she goes to bed, my thoughts are we take beechams/lemsip etc when we have a cold and they contain paracetamol. she has slept fine both nighs and seems a lot better in herself xx
  • the past 2 nights we have given evie calpol, only 2.5ml and only as she goes to bed, my thoughts are we take beechams/lemsip etc when we have a cold and they contain paracetamol. she has slept fine both nighs and seems a lot better in herself xx
  • i gave her 2.5ml before bed and she was ok for 2 hours. woke about 11pm. needed comforted to go back to sleep. slept till 3am. started stirring from 6am.

seems ok in heself this morning even though she has a runny nose and sometimes sounds blocked.