Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Constant ear infections?

Hello mummies!
Theo has been such a poorly baby recently. He was diagnosed with a chest and double ear infection 2 weeks ago so was given a 5 day course of antibiotic. It cleared his chest up, but he still seemed bothered by his ears so I took him to a dr on monday who was absolutley useless, he said Theo was in pain but didnt want to give more antibiotics! So finaly managed to get an appointment with my gp yesterday who looked in his ears and said yes he still has a very nasty infection in both ears but the left one looked really bad so he's now on another course of antibiotics. They dont seem to affect him too much, he actually slept through last night but today he's STILL pulling on his hears, is off food and is generally unhappy. Does that mean the new ones arent working? Also, this is his 3rd ear infection in 7 months, isnt that quite alot? Does it need looking into further?
xx

Replies

• Hello.

My lo used to get ear infection after ear infection and by the time she was 6 months she had had 5 ear infections and 4 lots of antibiotics. Give the new lot of antibiotics a chance to work, they can take up 6-8 doses (2- 2.5days) to kick in.

I had a doctor that once refused to give Freya antibiotics with no explaination and by the evening she was worse and started spiking temps. I took her to on call doc and she explained that with babies antibiotics do all the work to clear an infection, therefore there bodies never learn to fight it themselves. With adults antibiotics work with our bodies. That could possibly be the reason your origional doc refused a second dose. The on call doc gave me a prescription but I took her advice and rode through it. It wasn't very nice watching her be in pain but I gave her regular calpol and Neurophen and after 3-4 days she was 100% better and hasn't had an infection since.

Hope your lo gets better soon. And her sleeping lots just means her body is resting to fight the infection.

Kerry, Freya and Pink Bump
    36+4
    X X X
  • Hello.

My lo used to get ear infection after ear infection and by the time she was 6 months she had had 5 ear infections and 4 lots of antibiotics. Give the new lot of antibiotics a chance to work, they can take up 6-8 doses (2- 2.5days) to kick in.

I had a doctor that once refused to give Freya antibiotics with no explaination and by the evening she was worse and started spiking temps. I took her to on call doc and she explained that with babies antibiotics do all the work to clear an infection, therefore there bodies never learn to fight it themselves. With adults antibiotics work with our bodies. That could possibly be the reason your origional doc refused a second dose. The on call doc gave me a prescription but I took her advice and rode through it. It wasn't very nice watching her be in pain but I gave her regular calpol and Neurophen and after 3-4 days she was 100% better and hasn't had an infection since.

Hope your lo gets better soon. And her sleeping lots just means her body is resting to fight the infection.

Kerry, Freya and Pink Bump
    36+4
    X X X
  • Hiya my oh used to get really bad ear infections as a child and has had a perforated ear drum several times (once it perforates it becomes weak and prone to further perforating) he recently had another after a few years of none and was told that he had a short ear canal which makes him prone to infections, he was told not to let water in his ears if he goes swimming he must put vaseline around the inside f his ear and he must never clean the wax out of his ear canal as its there to prvent infections.
    I dont know if any of this is any good to you but thought id mention it just in case it comes in useful.
    Hope Theo feels better soon xx
  • Bless him,

just wanted to say that I hope he's feeling much better soon.

I've also heard that no-one should clean thier ears with cotton buds because the wax is there for a reason, appparently you shouldn't put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear!
  • Oh poor Theo, hope he feels better soon hun. Fingers crossed no experience of ear infections so far so can't give any practical advice, just ((hugs)). S x
  • When my lo had a double ear infection he was also refused anti-biotics, for the reason that PumpkinPatch was told - that antibiotics don't help babies in the long term develop their own antibodies. I told my doctor that when i was little i had very bad glue ear, lots of operations and was even given a hearing aid aged 11 and she said it was because i was given so many antibiotics as a child.

It is horrible to see them ill, we gave my lo calpol every 4 hours, and raised the head of his mattress - laying flat on their backs creates pressure in the ear and causes the pain to be worse x
  • My lo has got an ear infection now, just started him on antibiotics. He sleeps a bit during the day then wakes up crying constantly. Nothings helping. He just wants me to hold him all the time, I've not been able to put him down for 2 days. I slept half sat up last night with him on me. He's not ate anything today except a yogurt he keeps going for boob then sleeping. I'm tired and hungry 5+6
  • aww hun I know how you feel. Theo seems to be a little bit better today, he slept ok last night but the antibiotics have given him a really nasty bum! He's doing horrible pooes a few times a day and I think he feels a bit sick too because he isnt really interested in food.
    hope your lo is a bit better now yummy mummy.
    xx