Forum home Babies Baby

weaning at 4 months?

Will anyone or has anyone started weaning at 4 months?

I started to wean my first at 4 months but the HV had a right go at me saying that i should wait till my baby is 6 months bla bla bla!!

I am thinking about weaning my 2nd at 4 months aswell does anyone think this is a bad idea?!
It says on the 1 stage food from 4 months so i presume it is ok?!!

Thanks Amie x x x x

Replies

• It's up to you, I wouldn't wean at 4 months just for the sake of it, but if your baby seems ready then I think it's fine. I weaned my Lo at 4 months and looking back he wasn't really ready, he would drain a 10oz bottle but he was a big baby and wasnt really looking for food, just LOTS of milk. He was a bit confused with weaning, didn't have good head control and it took him ages to 'get it', until he was about 8 months food didnt seem to fill him up and he still had 28oz milk a day. Also as he started to be weaned he developed eczema. So in my personal experience it isn't a good idea, but every baby is different xxxx
  • Thanks very much for the advise i will probably start to wean her when she is 4 months as she is always hungry now and is only 11 weeks old!!
  • yeah i did i weaned Amy at 19 wks she was more than ready for it and tbh i think if you start before 6 months they have more chance of taking things slowly and trying new things instead of having to move quite quick at 6months. Amy was eating fingers foods at 6 months and has a very good appetite and will eat anything.

If you feel she is ready then honestly a little baby rice or fruit puree is fine wont harm her - hell i was weaned at 3 months and a baby book my mum kept from when we were babies (28years ago) Dr Spock suggest weaning at 2 months!!!!!

Good luck its great fun!!
  • I waened my lo at 4 months as he was such a hungry baby and he was literally draining the life and breastmilk out of me. I became underweight and I'm not very big to start with! I started slow with just a bit of baby rice, he grabbed spoon for 2nd spoonful and we never looked back.
    He took to our family food a lot easier than a lot of my friends babies who waited until 6months. I'm not sure if this is because my lo loves his food or beacause he was weaned early.
    I'm expecting no2 and will play it by ear as it may not like it's food as much as it's big bro!
    Good luck
    LO 17months and 13+6
    xxx
  • Just wanted to ask if you were on 2nd stage milk yet- some babies can be satisfied by switching from 1st to 2nd rather than solids.
    Some HV's may appear to 'preach' but they only use up to date research which at the moment suggests holding out until 6 months is best for the majority of babies. Of course I think Mums should do what is best in their indiv circumstance & you may find your lo is totally ready. Most HV's will support you with early weaning if you ask as they realise not all babies fit the mould.
  • my first was 7 weeks my second was 10 weeks and wee charlie was 8 weeks.
    now 20 weeks old he has 3 solid meals a day, 4 9oz bottles a day and last week started having heinze biscotti biscuits and cant get enough of them.
    i put all mine on solids at these ages because they then they were all taking 9oz bottles of hungrier baby milk every 2 hours or less.
  • my first was 7 weeks my second was 10 weeks and wee charlie was 8 weeks.
    now 20 weeks old he has 3 solid meals a day, 4 9oz bottles a day and last week started having heinze biscotti biscuits and cant get enough of them.
    i put all mine on solids at these ages because they then they were all taking 9oz bottles of hungrier baby milk every 2 hours or less.