Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breast Pumps

Hi ladies, my little man is only a week old but I'm thinking of trying to express as I really don't feel comfortable with the idea of BF in public (don't know why as it doesn't bother me if I see other people doing it!).

I know a lot of people recommend the medela breast pump but its far too expensive! So can anyone recommend a decent cheaper pump? Also are the hand pumps as hard to use as a lot of people seem to say??

Thanks xx

Replies

• I have used both electric and hand pumps and to be honest i found the hand one just as quick and easy to use as the electric and if you need to express at night is quiet! The avent manual pump is good. x
  • I'd second what michelle said, I've had both and much prefer my manual pump, I am using the Avent atm which is quiet and comfortable. I've also had the Tommee Tippee manual pump which was harder work but still effective. I used the Medela Mini Electric a couple of times and hated it, far too noisy and just didn't work for me.

Some people would say you HAVE to have electric but I've managed to express every feed for nearly 7 months with a manual pump so it's no big deal!

If you want to save a bit of money how about looking on ebay? A lot of people buy pumps then decide not to express/it doesn't work for them so they sell them on. You would sterilise it before using anyway so it would be good as new!

Corinna x
  • Hi there, I have always used the Avent manual pump and found it very good, wd recommend it. It takes a few goes to get the hang of putting all the little bits together (probably true of all breast pumps though?). Personally, I didn't like the idea of an electric pump, with a manual pump you are a bit more in control, so to speak. xx
  • Hi- Just to add my vote to the Avent pump. I have to give my daughter drops for colic in milk before every feed so although I bf her I need to also express each day and the Avent pump is great- it fits really well and is really easy to use after a few times image
    I'm with you on the feeding in public issue btw- don't know why, I just chicken out each time!

Rosa & Lorelei x
  • Hi, I have the Avent electric pump but it can be used manually aswell. Think it works just aswell both ways but prefer electric because it keeps up a steady rhythm and can use it easier one handed, when Im pumping manually I tend to have to stop if eating or drinking at the same time.

Would definately recommend this pump.