Forum home Babies Baby

good news is ive had my baby at last.. .bad news is...

im in sooo much pain...
managed to have a vaginal birth with gas and air and had 2nd degree tears (stitched up now)...

is it normal to have so much pain internally?.....
im really scared about having a poo now too because of the pressure down there...
is this normal someone?.. im really worried.......

on the good side...
we've had our baby girl weighing 8lbs 5.

any advise would be appreciated...
how long did it take you to recover... is it normal not to be able to sit down easily etc....

pls help
x

Replies

• Yay!!!!! Congratulations hun that's FAB news! Sorry about all the pain. Afraid I can't help, we ended up with em c-section but gave the old vaginal birth a good go too.
    Take care, hope the recovery is swift and enjoy being with your lo-have you decided on a name yet?
    Bx
  • hiya, firstly WELL DONE YOU AND CONGRATULATIONS

i was in pain for about a week, and aching 'down there' for 2 months, i didnt tear tho, i just had some minor 'grazes'.... its all totally normal, i dont think i had a number 2 for over a week after givin birth, but i was bf'ing if that has anything to do with it.

i sat with a pillow under my bum for the first couple of days as its a painful experience!!!

archie is 15 weeks old and ive only jus stopped bleeding, but found out that was bcuz mini pill didnt agree with me so it was confusin my body into bleedin all the time. i think some women hav stopped after about 6 weeks, but if u get any clots bigger than a golf ball you MUST inform your mw or hv (dependin on whos lookin after you)

again, well done you and congrats !!!

xx
  • hi ladies...
    thanks for your replies....
    keep them coming... nobody tells you about these after-effects do they!

baby's name is anna-jane xx
    thanks again for the congratulations. i just want to heal so i can look after my toddler..
  • Congratulations on ur baby girl. I too was very scared to poo after rhys was born but it turned out to be fine lol weeing hurt a lot more!!!
    I was sore for about a week after I had him then it eased off but I overdid walking about one day so started to hurt again after that. I struggled to sit for awhile too but after a few days that eased too.
  • hi,

congratulations!!!! and welcome officially to baby!

as for recovering..............I had an episotomy (sp?) and was told to take paractemol and ibroprofin - you can alternate them so you can take one or other other every 2 hours (eg 1pm Paracetamol, 3pm ibroprofin, 5pm paracetamol etc) and this is safe if you are breastfeeding.

As for pooing - it can take a while, when you feel like you need to poo, try holding a sanitary towel over the stitches.

I bled for 5 weeks, it got much lighter then a bit heavier again for the 5th week then nothing till my lo was 7 months as I was (and still am) breastfeeding.

Also...................if it stings when you wee, try leaning forwards - stops it running over the stitches so much.

And............try bathing in salty water (I ran a shallow bath and added table salt) or i've heard other in here recommending something called badidas?

congrats again, lovely name,

Lisa
  • congratulations on your little girl! and yes it is normal honey, i can sympathise with you! its a horrible feeling when your all sore and swollen. sitting down, getting up, going to the loo, walking, everything is sore! i had a second degree tear and had 2 stitches. it took me a good 2 weeks to start to feel better down below, i took paracetamol and a lot of baths- if you've had stiches you cant have bubble bath, just nice hot water, it soothed my bits no problem. you'll feel better once the swelling has gone down.
    hope you feel better soon xxxxx
  • congratulations on your little girl! and yes it is normal honey, i can sympathise with you! its a horrible feeling when your all sore and swollen. sitting down, getting up, going to the loo, walking, everything is sore! i had a second degree tear and had 2 stitches. it took me a good 2 weeks to start to feel better down below, i took paracetamol and a lot of baths- if you've had stiches you cant have bubble bath, just nice hot water, it soothed my bits no problem. you'll feel better once the swelling has gone down.
  • OMG why are there so many posts from me????? silly BE! xx
  • A huge Congratulations on your baby girl!! When did you have her? I had a 2nd degree tear with Tegan and it was agony, the only thing that helped was sitting on a nice soft pillow, plenty of cooling baths and alot of paracetamol. I put a bit of dettol on my bath to help the stitches heal quicker (was recommended by mw). I think it took about 1-2 weeks for things to feel a bit better down there and for me to be able to pee properly without pain and then another week or so to be able to do a poo coz i was so scared. if you need to go but feel scared then hold a maternity pad on your stitches to give you a bit of support, they wont burst.

Hannah 38+2 xxx
  • A huge Congratulations on your baby girl!! When did you have her? I had a 2nd degree tear with Tegan and it was agony, the only thing that helped was sitting on a nice soft pillow, plenty of cooling baths and alot of paracetamol. I put a bit of dettol on my bath to help the stitches heal quicker (was recommended by mw). I think it took about 1-2 weeks for things to feel a bit better down there and for me to be able to pee properly without pain and then another week or so to be able to do a poo coz i was so scared. if you need to go but feel scared then hold a maternity pad on your stitches to give you a bit of support, they wont burst.

Hannah 38+2 xxx

Hannah 38+2 xxx

Hannah 38+2 xxx
  • GRRR stupid BE, its playing up alot today me thinks. so sorry xx
  • congrats on ur lil girl x i was scared to poo aswell i ate high fibre food and lots of orange juice hopefully to soften it up (tmi) i also found weeing as if i was using a dirty loo (hovering over toilet) less painful on my cut.
  • Congratulations! I had 2nd tearing and lots of stitches (MW wouldn't tell me how many!). I was also amazed by just how painful and sore it all was. Best advice I was given was to put 10 drops of lavender oil in my bath this really helped to soothe the soreness. Sitting on a cushion also helped. If it is painful to wee, pouring water down at the same time is good and for pooing I found holding a sanitary towel on the stitches really helped and hovering over the loo as someone has already said. Felt better after about 2-3 weeks! It does get better but just a bit of a shock when you haven't been warned about it! Good luck and enjoy your little girl.
    Tasha x
  • Congratulations, I was only reading your post about a c-sec earlier today, glad you got your chance to have a 'natural' birth and wasn't induced! Yes the pain is quite normal, I didn't actually bother with pain relief, just took it easy for a while but I'd imagine that would be easier said than done with a toddler - just make sure you get other people running round for you and if they offer help take it - it doesn't last long!

I found peeing more painful than pooing, but found it helped no end going in the shower - at least there's a constant stream of water to wash it away although and the warmth helped the soreness and stinging.

I'd completely forgotten how bad the early days could be - the pain and the memory soon goes!! I had 2nd degree tear and they had trouble stopping the bleeding at the time - there's so much they don't tell you about before you give birth! I bled for 8 1/2 weeks after with some big clots but that was apparently quite normal.

Enjoy the early days, they grow too quick xx
  • Congratulations

Not sure about after a tear as i was very lucky and never tore with any of my three but i was in some pain for a few days after all three and was always a bit scared about going for the first poo after not sure why just had a feeling it was going to hurt like hell but it never did x
  • Congrats on the safe arrival of your little girl!

Yep the pain etc is normal I'm afraid image bloody kills! I had episiotomy with my 1st and took 2 weeks for things down below to settle down. I could barely walk for the first week. As for the 1st poo...I dranks tons of water during my labour and after lo was born and I think that helped things along so to speak! It didn't hurt but was scary!

I found lavender oil in bath helped to heakl the stitches and my mw said use the cold blast button of your hairdrier to dry your stitches! Sounds crazy but helps everything to dry properly. As long as no-one sees you lol!

Enjoy your new arrival. xxx

• Congrats on the safe arrival of your little girl!

Yep the pain etc is normal I'm afraid image bloody kills! I had episiotomy with my 1st and took 2 weeks for things down below to settle down. I could barely walk for the first week. As for the 1st poo...I dranks tons of water during my labour and after lo was born and I think that helped things along so to speak! It didn't hurt but was scary!

I found lavender oil in bath helped to heakl the stitches and my mw said use the cold blast button of your hairdrier to dry your stitches! Sounds crazy but helps everything to dry properly. As long as no-one sees you lol!

Enjoy your new arrival. xxx