Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any1 else self employed?...

Hi Girls!

Is anyone else self employed and worried about how they are going to cope for money during maternity leave? I am only able to take a month off at most and needing to save up as much as poss to cover bills etc for when im off, my hubbie has a good wage, but not enough to support us both. Its really worrying me. Is there anything i can claim for etc? Any tips would be fab!

Sharon 17+5 x

Replies

• hi, i am self employed. you can claim maternity allowance from jobcentre. If you have a small earnings exemption cert for national insurance then you get ??30 a week if you pay national insurance (and you have paid enough) then you get ??117 a week.

Lisa x
  • Yep I am self employed as well and we have just started TTC it is a bit worrying however when is there ever a good time to have a baby?! I am not letting the current credit crisis situation stop us from our furture plans. x
  • I'm self employed and will start to claim maternity allowance next month. You can get an application book from the job centre, it has gone up to ??123/per week I think for 39 weeks. They also allow you to work for 10 days to keep your business going. Its not much but better than nothing! x