Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

I can't stop worrying :(

I can't stop worrying about my baby... he is now just 3 days old.
I worry over every little thing, from when he get the hiccups, to when he is sick... I get worried he will choke on the vomit. I have been sleeping with the light on just so I can keep looking to make sure he is still breathing. I am dreading when my partner finishes paternity leave and I am alone with him, as I just don;t know what I would do if something happned.

Is anyone else feeling this way at all, or is it just me? image

xx

Replies

• You are certainly not alone! I was the same when my ds was 3 days old. He is now nearly 4 weeks and I am alot calmer. I dreaded my DH going back to work. i have still not done a full week on my own nor am I that confident either! I guess this will take time! Also at 3 days your milk maybe coming in which makes your hormone level drop and the baby blues appear (80% get this). This passes in a few days but be aware of it so that you look after yourself and get some extra tlc.
    Oh, and I was told that babies are different to adults in that their reflux is weaker hence they are sick if they burp! Also if they are placed on their back and are sick they will turn their head to the side. I still worry but it does reassure a little.
    hang in there the first week or so is by far the hardest. xxxx
  • Well done to you on your little bundle- see you ended up being an April Mummy.
    You are certianly not alone- with both of my babies I have slept with the light on for a few nights at least and get worried about the smallest thing. I cried every time I thought of hubby going back to work and croed when ever any one asked when he was going back, but back he has gone and we are finding our way. It does get easier and every day I am proud of something. My little girl is 3 weeks old now. Enjoy your lovely new addition. make sure you do indeed get lots of tlc yourself
    Kelly x
  • You sound completly normal to me ! My lo is 17 days old and for the first few days we would be leaping up at every noise she made during the night, and slept with the hall light on and bedroom door open so we could see her breathing. I've relaxed a lot now, hubby is still very nervous, especially as we are trying to have her sleep during the day upstairs now rather than having moses basket in the lounge he is constantly upstairs checking she is still breathing !
    All I can say is try to relax, it does get easier. As for being on your own and worrying about something happening, the likelihood of that is very slim but it may be worth reading up on some baby first aid techniques to see if that helps and having a contingency plan in place just in case ??
    Enjoy your lo and look after yourself.

XX
  • Hi,
    I was the same with my first and am much calmer with my second. It takes a few weeks to adjust and get used to them being there! You will get calmer as you will now his cries and noises and what they mean.
    I have panicked a couple of times as Nico who is now 13 days old keeps gagging which isn't nice! It is perfeclty normal to worry and it will get better.
    Good luck with it all dani x
  • Daniluca- my lo gags a lot. I was told its him trying to bring up mucus?? is that what you have been told? x
  • Hiya Lucretia,

Yeah dont worry chick, noone tells ya how shit your gonna feel, not like in ya bits ??? but like ya boobs when ya milk comes , but get the savoy coz it does work. and change the leaves when they get moist. and another peice of advice take it easy dont do what i did and trot off into town and totally wear yerself out and then feel like ya gonna break when ya come home.......how stupid was i, just chill and give your body a chance to heal.

The little one will be fine, honest babys breathing is so different to begin with coz they cant breath through their noses properly, Bellas still a heavy breather and she sstill pants when she get panicky.

Take care xx
  • Hiya Lucretia,

Yeah dont worry chick, noone tells ya how shit your gonna feel, not like in ya bits ??? but like ya boobs when ya milk comes , but get the savoy coz it does work. and change the leaves when they get moist. and another peice of advice take it easy dont do what i did and trot off into town and totally wear yerself out and then feel like ya gonna break when ya come home.......how stupid was i, just chill and give your body a chance to heal.

The little one will be fine, honest babys breathing is so different to begin with coz they cant breath through their noses properly, Bellas still a heavy breather and she sstill pants when she get panicky.

Take care xx
  • Hiya Lucretia,

Take care xx
  • Hi

i was the same when ruby was born and she was my 5th her breathing was very quiet that i had to keep touching her chest to check she was ok for the first couple of days, also agree with the othes when your milk comes in can send you up and down, it hit mereally hard when my mum was going home and i paniced thinking how on eath did i think i could this on my own, but uby is 5 weeks now and i think i am coping really well with being a single mum to 5 us mums cope with most things that are thrown at us lol hope your feeling moe relaxed now and good luck

Mari
  • Little p

Yes think it is mucus he has loads when he was born. Scary and not nice!!