Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

full fat vs semi skimmed ???

hi ladies ,i have just read in may's prima baby mag that after the age of 2 u are not supposed to give lo full fat milk only semi skimmed as it increases the risk of heart desiese(sp)when there adults image ...oh gosh jack is 3 in june and ive still been giving him full fat to drink morning and evening .....i feel awful now for not knowing but y the hell didnt my h/v say ....grrr

random post but just letting u mummy's know xxxxxxxxx

(also in baby) xxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• Options
    Thanks for letting me know - I would have merrily carried on giving Daniel full fat milk until he was in school or something, happy in the view that I was 'building him up'! It will make it easier when he drinks s/s milk though, as that is what OH and I drink. Too often, OH and I have a sneaky hot chocolate made with Daniel's f/f milk, which is doing my weight loss attempts no good at all image
  • Options
    I never knew that! Thanks for the info!

Stephanie
  • Options
    The food standards agencys advise is that you may start giving your child semi-skimmed from 2 as long as they are eating a good balanced diet, its not saying you shouldn't give them full fat! so don't worry. I suppose if kids have a bad diet and having full fat then heart disease risk is increased.

but you musn't give skimmed milk til at least 5 years
  • Options
    Well that is bloody crackers as the Free school milk that primary kids get is FULL FAT!!!!! image
  • Options
    maybe i read it wrong but the article in prima baby says that u should be giving them semi skimmed from the age of 2 .......crafticharli u r right i didnt think about that .......i get the feeling the goverment like making parents feel bad were always giving our children something that is 1 week fine the next not :roll: xxxxxxx
  • Options
    Hi
    I was just going to post the same thing !!!!
    Eve will be 2 at the end of June and I am thinking should I change her to semi-skimmed.My son had full fat until he was 5 tbh I never really thought about it as I think milk is just full of goodness but maybe not now.
    All these change 4 life adverts are starting to scare me.!!!
  • Options
    it's the food standard agency's suggested advice it's not the law so don't panic. It's all about obesity and getting children into good habbits. I doubt I'll change until Paul is older though. My sisters and I had full fat until we were in our teens and we are all healthy ans so on. Paul is quite skinny too and although he has a well balanced diet, I think he will still benefit from the full fat after he is 2