Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sore nipples still :(

Morning ladies, hope you are all well? I just have a quick question about if it is normal to still have sore nipples when LO is nearly 3 weeks old? They were initially very cracked, bleeding etc but have cleared up nicely on that front; however, it is still painful when LO latches on, not the smarting pain like before, but more a soreness like friction burn or something. I am still using the lanisoh nipple cream to soothe them but I was hoping that bf would be easy by now having apparently gone through the worst of it?! :\?

Becky

Replies

• Hi Becky, there are a couple of other explanations for the soreness that I can think of. One is to just make sure your lo is latching on correctly with a big mouth, although you've probably sussed that already..you could different positions like lying down or holding lo under your arm (rugby ball style!) to see if that helps.
    The other possibilty could be thrush, I had this with my first and it was incredibly painful when feeding. It felt like a burning sensation in my nipple and breast and lo will probably have a white tongue (check before a feed). Just some ideas..hope it's better soon.x
  • Hi Becky,
    it sounds like there may be something up, as they shouldnt really be sore. like missy said, could it be thrush? are your nipples bright red/pink and shiny looking? is the soreness still there after feeding? is it a deep shooting pain aswell as the general soreness? if yes, then it may be thrush (also look for white spots in lo's mouth)
    if its just nipple soreness, then it's something to do with either positioning or latch. i would hazard a guess its the position at 3 weeks in as the latch is prob ok. if you are doing cradle hold, make sure you havent got lo too far over. if she is on right side for example, make sure when she goes on, her nose is directly opposite you nipple, and dont mover her over once latched on as it can cause that type of friction on underside of nipple. i think that is the most common prob. if it is latch, check when lo's on that chin is right under and mouth is wide open, you can put your finger on chin and sort of pull down to open their mouth wider if you need to. if mouth isnt wide enough, again they ar sucking too much on nipple and not breast so will be sore.
    as well as the lansinoh, try bathing with a few drops of lavender oil, lie on your front so they sort of hang in the water!!!
    hope i may have helped, if you already knew/tried all that, i'm sorry, i didnt mean it to sound patronising!!
    dont give up, you're doing great! x
  • Thanks for your replies ladies; some good/helpful points raised. I dont think it is thrush as he doesnt have any spots in his mouth, I think it may be a combination of the latch and position millysmum but it is much worse on the right side which he always seems to have had a dislike with - messing about on it and breaking the latch frequently throughout a feed which I think he then latches back on incorrectly himself/shifts position. In addition to this, I think one of my milk ducts on the right side is blocked atm as I have a lot of pain in that breast generally with a hard lump!

Thanks again for your help.

Becky x

PS I certainly dont feel patronised - I need as much help as I can get!
  • lo doesnt have to have whie spots for it to be thrush, he could have sore looking bum. the clue is usuallly the pain fter feeding.
    but it sounds like blocked duct if you have a lump.
  • try some hot flannels on the right side over the lump, massage gently at the same time. i had a blocked duct and i did this, kept putting flannels under hot tap and eventually whilst i was massaging, it unblocked and milk spurted everywhere! i fed from it and it got rid of the lump.
    persevere with the right side, it will get better i promise, 3 weeks is still really little and lo will get better at feeding if you want to keep it up. the soreness will go too, it will suddenly improve and you will feel loads better xx