Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Dr Mark Porter summer infant health webchat Mon 18th May 1-2

Summer holidays are nearly here and that while that means more fun for families, it can mean trips to A&E or a visit to the GP for advice on everything from hayfever, to cuts and grazes, or an upset tummy.
Dr Mark Porter will be joining us between 1-2pm on Monday 18th May to help guide parents through first aid advice and summer health issues.
So if you want to know when just a plaster will do, or if you need to take a temperature seriously, or even how to minimise the effects of allergies, hayfever or too much sun, don't forget to join us and post your questions.

Replies

• Anyone with an infant health question for Dr Mark Porter can start posting from 12.30 today MON.

[Modified by: webeditor on May 18, 2009 12:23 PM]

[Modified by: webeditor on May 18, 2009 12:23 PM]

• Hello,

Is it possible for a 10 month old to suffer from hayfever? If so, what can I do to help her? I suffer too, i'm still breastfeeding her, is there anything that is safe for me to take?

She already suffers from excema though this is currently under control using moisturising creams. Is the heat likely to make it worse again if we get really hot weather? If so, what can I do to help?

thank you

Lisa
  • My baby is 5 weeks old, I'm having trouble telling the difference between what might count as a serious rash and what is a passing reaction?

He has had some spots around his mouth after feeding but they go as frequently as they come but then there is a lingering red rash on the back of his neck? I live in central london and am still waiting hopelessly to see a Health Visitor! Help!
  • Hi, I'm Dr Mark Porter. Please feel free to forward your questions to me over the next hour and I'd be happy to answer them.
  • Hi, i am concerened about my son's lack of energy. He is 8 months old, and breastfed. he has 3 good varied home cooked meals a day, 3 milk feeds, vitamin drops, sleeps 12 hours at night and naps three times a day. yet when he is awake he is constantly rubbing his eyes and yawning and grizzling. He sometimes appears very pale, but apart fromt hat i can't see anything physically wrong with him - is there anything i can do?
  • hi there my lo is 20months and would quite happily spend all day in the garden if i'd let him, but I do worry about picking up germs outside, fingers in the muck etc as there are a lot of cats near by, but what i'm most concerned about are the flowers and plant, he loves to pick flowers from my pots and sniff them, which is very cute, but i'm worried as to what's poisonous and whats not.

Is there anything i should particularly watch out for?

thanks claire
  • Hello,

Is it possible for a 10 month old to suffer from hayfever? If so, what can I do to help her? I suffer too, i'm still breastfeeding her, is there anything that is safe for me to take?

She already suffers from excema though this is currently under control using moisturising creams. Is the heat likely to make it worse again if we get really hot weather? If so, what can I do to help?

thank you

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Its unusual, but possible given that it is linked to eczema. But I would be looking for other causes - particulary as the hayfever season hasn't really got going 'properly' yet.

The heat will worsen her eczema if you're not careful so keep her cool and avoid synthetic materials close to her skin.

Ask your pharmacist about products like sprays and eyedrops which are safe when breastfeeding.

• My baby is 5 weeks old, I'm having trouble telling the difference between what might count as a serious rash and what is a passing reaction?

He has had some spots around his mouth after feeding but they go as frequently as they come but then there is a lingering red rash on the back of his neck? I live in central london and am still waiting hopelessly to see a Health Visitor! Help!

HI Wills mum,

Impossible to give advice on rashes by email as there are so many. But the one we all worry about is a non-blanching rash. Which is one that doesn't disappear when you push on the skin. Use the side of a glass tumbler and push against the rash. If you can still see it through the glass, call your doctor.
  • Thank you,

though I'm surprised that the hayfever season hasn't really started yet as I've been suffering, and do always suffer at this time of the year and I know of others who have been suffering too.

Is there anything at all that can help her if she does have hayfever??

[Modified by: Loopy Loo on May 18, 2009 01:29 PM]

• Hi, i am concerened about my son's lack of energy. He is 8 months old, and breastfed. he has 3 good varied home cooked meals a day, 3 milk feeds, vitamin drops, sleeps 12 hours at night and naps three times a day. yet when he is awake he is constantly rubbing his eyes and yawning and grizzling. He sometimes appears very pale, but apart fromt hat i can't see anything physically wrong with him - is there anything i can do?

Most parents complain that there babies have too much energy! Seriously, if you're worried that he looks pale and he's noticably sleepier than other babies, then he should be looked at by your GP to check for anaemia. Not much i can add from here.
  • hi there my lo is 20months and would quite happily spend all day in the garden if i'd let him, but I do worry about picking up germs outside, fingers in the muck etc as there are a lot of cats near by, but what i'm most concerned about are the flowers and plant, he loves to pick flowers from my pots and sniff them, which is very cute, but i'm worried as to what's poisonous and whats not.

Is there anything i should particularly watch out for?

thanks claire

Hi Claire,

Its worth looking around your garden for known trouble makers - like laburnum. The Royal Horticultural Society website has a section on dangerous plants - including those that cause rashes if touched. Worth checking them out.

But i wouldn't worry about the germs, unless you have a dog in which case you should pick up any mess.

• HI, my son (7) hates anything being done to him - plasters, antiseptic, cream etc. So whenever he falls over and gets a cut or graze I tend to hope it will sort itself out. Luckily, he's never had a bad injury. Is it OK to leave grazes etc or would you say always disinfect etc? What are the risks of just leaving it to heal? Will foreign bodie eg bits of gravel, work their own way out?
    Thanks.
  • Thank you,

though I'm surprised that the hayfever season hasn't really started yet as I've been suffering, and do always suffer at this time of the year and I know of others who have been suffering too.

Depends how bad her symptoms are. We can use anti-histamines but only if we really need to. Make sure she doesn't go outside first thing in the morning or in the evening when pollen counts are highest. And keep her bedroom windows shut if possible.
  • HI, my son (7) hates anything being done to him - plasters, antiseptic, cream etc. So whenever he falls over and gets a cut or graze I tend to hope it will sort itself out. Luckily, he's never had a bad injury. Is it OK to leave grazes etc or would you say always disinfect etc? What are the risks of just leaving it to heal? Will foreign bodie eg bits of gravel, work their own way out?
    Thanks.

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about the anti-septic but wounds should be covered until a good scab has formed - if possible. But don't hold him down to apply a plaster!
  • Thank you,

Depends how bad her symptoms are. We can use anti-histamines but only if we really need to. Make sure she doesn't go outside first thing in the morning or in the evening when pollen counts are highest. And keep her bedroom windows shut if possible.

Hayfever season can start as early as February but it's June, July and August that cause the most problems - particulary in people having their first attack.
  • I would actually have to forcibly pin him down to get a plaster on! I think he's worried mainly about them hurting when they come off - any tips on getting plasters off other than the quick-rip technique?
  • Sorry, one other question - my daughter (4) often complains about having a tummy ache. Her stools are also often either quite loose or quite hard. She eats loads of fruit and roughage. Is this a sign of some sort of food allergy?
  • Sorry, one other question - my daughter (4) often complains about having a tummy ache. Her stools are also often either quite loose or quite hard. She eats loads of fruit and roughage. Is this a sign of some sort of food allergy?

Can't say from here. But here's a useful tip - if your child points to their tummy button when you ask them where the pain is, it's almost certainly nothing to worry about.
  • Hi all,

Time to go, if you would like more information on First Aid in the home then download the free St John Ambulance Fact Sheets at www.elastoplast.co.uk.

Thanks and bye!
    Dr Mark Porter
  • Thanks for that tip for how to spot a faker!