Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

methotrexate

Hi Ladies

Please can any of you assist in letting me know if you have experienced this drug in the past and if you were able to go straight back to work or if you had any time off.

I am experiencing another ectopic pregnancy and my consultant has said that possibly methotrexate is the best way to proceed.

Any answers gratefully received.

Thanks
Sarah
xx

Replies

• Hi Sarah,
    I didn;t have this treatment but just wanted to say so sorry you are having to go through this again - may be worth viewing ectopic trust messageboard as well - wish I could help more
    Daisyx
  • Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear that you are having to go through this again. I had methotrexate in 2005 and I didn't go back to work until it was confirmed that the drug had done it's job which for me was approx 4 weeks. To be honest it is a bit of a blur and I'm not sure if my doc advised me to take the time off or if I was just too preoccupied to be able to think about work. As far as I am aware, until you have it confirmed that the methotrexate has worked (negative hpt or blood test) then there can still be a risk of rupture and so I really didn't do much - except sit infront of my computer and try to escape my mind! I've always been a bit of a worry-wort tho. I'd take advice from your doctor - and see how you feel yourself. Everyone is different - some people may be better in work with their mind occupied and others may not be able to contimplate work. Just be aware of your body and if you experience any strong pain (particularly in the shoulder) seek help immediately.

Hope it all works out well for you and that the future brings you the baby you deserve.

Take care.

Gill x
  • Hi Daisy and Gill

Thanks for your messages, I have my appt at 1.45pm today, so we will see what they decide.

Thanks
    Sarah
  • Hi Daisy and Gill

Thanks for your messages, I have my appt today at 1.45pm and will hopefully get some answers.

Thanks
    Sarah
  • Sarah

Hope your appointment went well today.

Thinking about you.

Gill x
  • Hi Gill

Sorry for lateness in responding. Had the methotrexate and have been off all this week. Levels have finally come down to a nice lower level 68 on Wednesday so looks like the methotrexate is doing its job.

Return to work on Monday and not sure how I feel about it, as I havent been in work much this month, but they are all so understanding, so I am sure it just feels worse than it will actually be.

Now I just need to go out and buy some condoms, as we can't risk getting pregnant, whilst the methotrexate is still in my system.

Gill, how long was it when you had a proper af after the methotrexate (if you can remember back that far). I think I am just coming to the end of another AF as I had my first in week one of May and started again on Tuesday this week.

Thanks for all your messages. At least we know we can get pregnant, it is just a case of getting it to the right place (third time lucky!).

Sarah
    xx
  • Hey Sarah

Glad the methotrexate is doing its job quickly - you'll probably find being back at work helps as you don't have the time to sit and worry about yourself - which is what I did!

I'm afraid I don't really remember how long it took to get an af after the methotrexate - the fact that I can't remember probably means that it wasn't a long time - I've always been pretty regular. I wouldn't worry about it too much anyway as you have the 3 month wait to let it settle down.

Good luck when you can ttc again - hope the next one is more successful - I'm a good example of hanging on in there and things coming good in the end - so stay positive!

Gill x
  • Hi sarah
    was wondering how you were getting on - 'glad' the meth... is working hope work is ok, as Gill says can be better than sitting and thinking - good luck for TTC when everything settles down
    Daisyx
  • Hi Daisy and Gill

Thanks for messages. First day back at work today and hoping to get back to some normality.

Here's to September when we can start trying again.
    Sarah
    xx