Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

2 year check

Hi there. My lo is due for his 2 year check and I was just wondering what to expect. A friend has told me that they ask about how many words they are saying which was helpful cos we've had chance to count and it's WAY more than we thought. I think a bit of advance warning will give a chance to watch him and actually give the right answer and not just a random guess.
Thanks.

Replies

• HI

Reece had to draw a pic to see how he held a crayon and build a tower. Then he just got weighed and measured and they gave advice about sleep (he is still rubbish at sleeping) and potty training. He is reallly good at talking and didnt shut up whilst we were there and told her all the colours of the bricks that he was building so we didnt have any worries there. We also took turns putting the bricks on which she was really impressed by as he kept saying mummys turn and reeces turn. She had some dolls tea set tots as well and watched how he played with those, nothing unusual at all. Hope it all goes well xx
  • HI

Reece had to draw a pic to see how he held a crayon and build a tower. Then he just got weighed and measured and they gave advice about sleep (he is still rubbish at sleeping) and potty training. He is reallly good at talking and didnt shut up whilst we were there and told her all the colours of the bricks that he was building so we didnt have any worries there. We also took turns putting the bricks on which she was really impressed by as he kept saying mummys turn and reeces turn. She had some dolls tea set tots as well and watched how he played with those, nothing unusual at all. Hope it all goes well xx
  • In Northern Ireland we dont have a 2 year check, we have 8, 12 and 16 week checks [thats it!] and then at 15 months they get another check but that is all they ever see a HV till they are in primary school! xxx
  • Diane as you know I am from Northern Ireland as well but when I went to the HV to get Kara her MMR they said that Kara will have a 2 year check so I just assumed she would have. It was a different HV that day but she said that the next time her own HV will see her is when she is 2 for her check up. I do agree with all your other checks as that is all that Kara got as well. I have hardly seen her HV.
  • my daughter had to do quite a few things....build a tower with building blocks, play with a little peg game - take pegs out and then put them back in the holes, match some colour cards next to the right colour on a piece of paper, put shape puzzles in the right place, draw on paper, got asked where her nose and fingers were. I think a few of my friends kids had to do a few more things aswell, something with pointing to things in a book?? not sure what else?
    HV also asked quite alot of questions like would she point to the sky if i said there was an aeroplane;how many words does she have; any concerns about hearing or eyesight; is she interested in toilet training; how are her eating habits.....sure there was more but can't remember!
    My dd had to do her's twice as on 1st attempt hv came to house and my son was only 3wks old and she just wouldn't co-operate with anything whatsoever!! When she did it the 2nd time my husband took her as it was scheduled at same time my son had injections. This time it was at the clinic and she did fine. HV did say with speech that although she's saying loads, as some of it is not understandable to someone who doesn't know her (what 2yr old is fully understandable though I ask?!?!) that she put it down for review and will call us in a few months to see if she is progressing!!
    It does seem as though it is different everywhere though so try not to worry about it too much!
  • David neber had to do any of that, they just asked me questions, they could tell he talked none stop cause he wouldnt shut up. they just ask if he was saying X amount of words and how much was he eatng, can he count etc but never actualy had to show anything.

xx
  • I got the letter and the date was the day after James' second birthday. It's only because I couldn't do that date that ot's a bit later. I'd contact your hv and see about Ells
  • Louise, that is good to know! how weird that everywhere is differant, you would think that we would all be under the same guildeines. Maybe it was becuase at the 15 month check Ellie was talking away and done everything they required at 2 years old, im not sure but she said she didnt need to see her again till she was in P1. x
  • Diane that is strange. I must find that out just to see. At Kara's MMR which she got when she was 18 months it wasn't her own HV so maybe she wasn't sure and just assumed.
  • I haven't had a letter for Sonny, he was 2 on 11th May. Think I'll call the GP & find out why.
  • In my red book it's a check done from 18-24 months in our area. Although from what it says it sounds like it's not compulsory.