Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

dumb question about duvets

We;ve decided its time to ditch the sleeping bags and get a duvet for cole. Fine I thought till I started to look at them.

THe quilt sets look all nice but it looks like its a thick quilt which is all one thing and has to be washed as one rather than a seperate duvet and cover. Am I right in thinking this?

Also - what tog duvet does everyone use? The only ones i'd seen were 4 tog but on ebay I've seen 9 tog ones so now I'm lost. I always thought he'd freeze in the 2.5 tog sleeping bag in winter cause I was cosied up in my 15 tog duvet, pj's and 2 fleece blankets and still getting cold but he was fine so I'm really not sure what to put him in.

And... where can you get nice cotbed duvets and covers from that aren't horribly expensive?

kids..its so bloody confusing lol

Replies

• A duvet for a toddler should only be 4tog to stop them from overheating. You can always add more blankets if they get cold (but it is coming up to summer).

I bought a Grobag 1st duvet set which is expensive. Everything is attached together and you can zip them into it to stop them falling out of bed. I bought my duvet & pillow off Amazon - I got the Fogarty ones. They are really good.

Most sets I've seen are expensive unfortunately. have you checked on ebay? I would also try and get a cover that's 100% cotton so they dont overheat & sweat in bed.

Check out Bump to 3 website for the Grobag 1st duvet sets.
  • I just checked out the bump to 3 site and it says the bed sets are from 2 and a half years. My little girl is 18 months old today and i wondered if she was ready for a quilt... according to that site she isn't! Can i ask how old your lo's were when you changed from sleeping bags? Cheers. MM
  • hi my lo is 16months and we've been using a quilt since he was 12months and he's fine with it. (ours is not a seperate duvet and cover though) it was ??15 from dunelm i know they do the duvets and covers quite cheap aswell though. hope this helps
  • We bought James a duvet, when he went into a bed at 13 months, we got a 4 / 4.5 tog from toys r us about ??15. Cotbed duvets do seem to be expensive, we got ours in John Lewis. I'm sure I've seen some in Ikea! Most nights he kicks the duvet off, but never seems to wake cold in the night. x
  • no idea why i'm worrieda bout him getting cold lol. its baking in his room and he's asleep in a vest and sheet over him and thats all!!

Never thought of any of those shops people suggested.. i'm so rubbish lol! Thanks for the ideas image

minimonkey - cole is 17 months now and we are changing - i think he's sleeping better out of his sleeping bags cause i think he prefers the freedom to move his legs around. course this also means stick his legs out through the cot bed bars but there you go lol.

Tried to look on dunelm site but they have nothing nursery related online image

Finally found some nice stuff on ebay though - thanks for the reminder about 100% cotton ccbmommy- definately worth it when cole's room does get hot! Just hope the sellers i've messaged tell me the funky duvet sets are cotton!

Thanks for the replys
  • I don't know why the Grobag duvets say from 2 and half as you can use pillow & duvets from 12 months? Charlotte is 16 months and I will put her in hers after the summer when she's about 20 months.
  • Oh those growbag things are clever with having poppers at the top of teh duvet so they don't slip down into the covers. Bloody expensive though! Don't have enough in my paypal account for one of those. Not sure i'd dare get one either tbh the way cole wiggles. Can just see him waking us up cause he's stuck in the bottom corner!!

Both ebay sellers got back to me to say the duvet covers I liked were poly cotton. I've no idea if that'd be sweaty for him though - anyone used polycotton stuff for their lo?
  • Polycotton would be ok as most probably 50% cotton. I would stick with 100% cotton myself as my lo's room gets quite warm in the summer.

Mothercare have a nice range but still a bit expensive.

I've seen these on Ikea's website:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/10443/
  • hi i hope you read this
    IT is not a daft question i nearly lost the will to live when it came to quilts and my son!!!!! LOL
    he is 2 in a week and i have managed fine i have a quilt form ikea it comes with a cover and you can buy more they are great however he NEVER keeps them on him cold or not i do wish i had stuck with the sleeping bags for that bit longer he was 18 months when i changed.
  • hi i hope you read this
    IT is not a daft question i nearly lost the will to live when it came to quilts and my son!!!!! LOL
    he is 2 in a week and i have managed fine i have a quilt form ikea it comes with a cover and you can buy more they are great however he NEVER keeps them on him cold or not i do wish i had stuck with the sleeping bags for that bit longer he was 18 months when i changed.
  • Oh those ikea ones are reasonably priced!! sure i could persuade my mate to keep me company on an ikea trip..not sure my bank balance can handle it though!!

happymom..i think i'm losing the will to live too! totally baffled with them now.. looking at ikea ones and i think they are different sizes to normal ones - i'm sure their fitted sheets are sized just for ikea beds. i used to have an ikea bed and could never get sheets to fit! Think the weather is warm enough for now that he's ok with a sheet and poss a blanket when it gets bit colder - which means I can put off the duvet problem for a little while longer! Much prefer sleeping bags but even the 12-36 month ones he's running out of space in and i think thats whats disturbing him at night. so glad its not just me!!