Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is snacking important?

I only ask as lately I have been missing Kady's afternoon snack and as a result he has had a much better appetite for his tea.
Don't get me wrong he doesn't gobble everything down every night but since stopping his afternoon snack (which was usually fruit or the like) he now seems a bit more enthusiastic about his evening meal lol.

I was okay with this till I read in a mag today that toddlers 'need' snacks for their 'growing needs'.
Just wondered what everyone else does?

Replies

• Kara gets a snack mid morning and afternoon but this is because of her Diabetes and she is in a strict routine for eating and has to eat at certain times. I give her a snack between 3pm and 3.30pm and then tea between 5.30 and 6pm. It doesn't seem to put her off her tea because there is a long enough gap there.

If you feel Kade eats his dinner better if you skip it then I would probably leave it or just give something really small for snack. His tea to me is the most important. I never heard that about their growing needs but sure if you listen to everything that you hear or read you would never be feeding your lo. I would do what you feel is right and works best for you and Kade.
  • I normally give Charlotts snacks as she doesn't always eat her meals. Saying that sometimes I maybe give her too much snack as she then wont eat her tea. I need to get the balance right!

Do what's best for you & your lo.
  • We don't really have snacks as like you I find he eats better without them but he will munch on a biscuit or a few slices of apple which seems to be fine. He also still takes milk so that prob fills him up a but too. I tend to go with the flow and if he's acting hungry he gets something (18mth )
  • We don't really have snacks as like you I find he eats better without them but he will munch on a biscuit or a few slices of apple which seems to be fine. He also still takes milk so that prob fills him up a but too. I tend to go with the flow and if he's acting hungry he gets something (18mth )