Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Childhood allergies webchat Fri June 5th

Allergies health visitor Jackie Gaventa from Allergy UK will be hosting this live webchat from 12-1pm on June 5th. More info: http://www.babyexpert.com/Baby/Childhood-allergies-webchat/v1

[Modified by: webeditor on 01 June 2009 12:59:23 ]

Replies

• Hi everyone, today we welcome Jackie Gaventa to the chatrooms to answer your questions about children's allergies. As soon as Jackie joins us you can start posting your queries. Web Ed
  • Hi, I will be available shortly and happy to answer your questions. Jackie
  • My kids were happy to see the rain this morning, that means the pollen count is lower. How are your children ? I am in the chat room now, come and join me. Jackie
  • Hi Jackie, my daughter Grace is 9 months old and has been diagnosed with an allergy to dairy and eggs. I know that some children can grow out of this, but can you advise me how long this might take, and if there's any way I can test her without causing too much discomfort? Thanks, Ali
  • Hi Ali
    If your daughter was diagnosed by an Allergy Paediatrician they will invite you to have your daughter retested for dairy and egg allergy, by skin prick or blood test, then invite her into hospital for a day to challenge the food by giving her small amounts of dairy or egg to see if she is ready to have these back in her diet. Many children outgrow these allergies between the age of 2-5 years, though some carry on longer.
  • Hi Jackie,
    I had eczema as a child which still flares up now even though I'm 28. I'm 6 months pregnant and was wondering if this can be hereditary? My brother has eczema, too and one of his kids has it.
    Thanks
  • hi,

I find that suncream makes lo's skin dry, effecting her excema which we did have under control. any suggestions of a brand we could try or any tips other than totally keeping an active 10 month old out of the sun?

also, do you know if there is anything I can take for my hayfever whilst I am breastfeeding?

thanks,

lisa
  • Hi Jackie
    I am confused about peanuts - My daughter is 8 months and I am introducing her to new foods. I know there is an issue with peanuts - why is this and when can she have them? And also why can't babies have honey? Thanks!
  • Hi Jackie,
    My daughter is nearly 2 and the other day I noticed her rubbing her eyes a lot as if they were itchy. I assume this is hayfever. I've bought some Piriteze medicine and wanted to ask if it's safe to use this every day throughout the summer to prevent symptoms, or should I only use it when she seems to be rubbing her eyes a lot? Thanks for your response.
  • HI my son will be one at the end of June. At 8 weeks old he was diagnoised with an intolorance to cows milk protein and is now on Neocate LCP milk. We tried re introducing milk to his diet a couple of months ago but he reacted badly to it. His skin broke out, nappies were bad, won't settle at night. The doctor now says it may be an allergy to cows milk protien. Whats the difference and how can we reintroduce it to his diet or will he grow out of it? By the way he was never tested for this, they just changed his milk which saw a dramatic improvement at 8 weeks old, before this he never gained weight, was sick all the time and had bad skin and nappies. Thanks Tammi & Ashton

PS I am due my second baby in September (another boy!) whats the chances of the same thing happening again?
  • Hi monalisa.
    Yes you are right. The tendency to have allergic diseases can be inherited. Your baby has a risk of developing one of the allergic diseases, eczema, asthma, hayfever or food allergy. Your baby may have different allergic problems to you. Have you thought about how you are going to feed your baby, because we know that exclusive breast feeding for at least four months can protect babies from developing allergies, especially eczema. If you are thinking of formula you will need to use a hypoallergenic formula. Hope this helps.
  • Hi LoopyLoo.
    Easier than suncream is to dress your baby in long trousers, long sleeves and a floppy hat to protect her from the sun. Your GP may be able to prescribe a high factor sunscreen but check the ingredients if there is something that irritates her skin. Anti-histamines are not a good idea when pregnant, talk to your GP but in the mean time wear wrap around shades to protect your eyes, a little vaseline around your nostrils to trap pollen and try not to go outside when pollen is highest, early morning and early evening.
  • Hi Carapops.
    Babies under one year should not be given honey because it carries a risk of infection, Botulism. If you have no history of allergies in the family and your daughter has not developed any allergic problems, eczema, asthma, hayfever, food allergies, then she can have peanut butter mixed in with her weaning diet. There is a risk of choking on whole nuts so we don't suggest this until age 5.
  • Hi Crocus.
    Always check the age guidelines when buying any medicine. Anti-histamines can be taken daily during the pollen season according to instructions on the pack. You may also want to wash her hands and face if she has been outdoors to remove pollen on her skin and wash her hair at bathtime.
  • Hi Jackie- my whole family seem dogged with excema, allergies & asthma yet my Mum says it was unheard of in her day... I'm not a clean freak, I didn't wean early or late, I breast fed & avoided nuts while pregnant. What more can I do????? .
  • Hi Tammi and Ashton.
    Intolerance is a general name for bad reactions to food. It sounds likely if your son is still reacting that he still has a problem, so continue with the Neocate, there is also a toddler drink in the range. Talk to your GP about referral to an Allergy Paediatrician to be tested safely in a clinic. A Paediatric Dietitian can also give you some help around re-introducing cows milk. Yes there is a risk for your new baby, so think about exclusive breast feeding or using a hypoallergenic formula.
  • thanks but i'm not pregnant, i'm breastfeeding!

I have bought lots of long sleveed tops and long trousers for the summer so glad to hear I did the right thing there!
  • unless theres something you know that I dont, lol
  • Hi Camlo.
    The tendency for allergies does run in families, then added on is each persons reaction to different allergens in our environment. Allergies would have existed in your mums day but it is only recently that we have understood more about how allergies develop and there are special allergy clinics. Carry on as normal but be aware that you have this family problem and if you get symptoms, talk to your GP. You did the right thing breast feeding. There is a lot of research around peanuts at the moment, so there may be new advice soon.
  • Whoops, sorry Lisa, but same advice when breast feeding. Anti-histamines are not generally used.