Forum home Toddlers & older children Children with special needs

Barium meal

Hello

Our little one (5 weeks on Monday) is due to have a Barium meal on Monday.... I was just wondering if any of your little ones had had this and if anyone could let me know what to expect....? Guess its not going to be a nice experience?!

Thanks, Mel

Replies

• hi, my son zac (14months) has had 3 and is due another in 3 weeks. his first one was at 11 months though but they tend to starve them for 4 hours so they are pretty keen to try anything by the time they start the test. it can be messy so don't use best clothes. poo will be white for a day or so after. zac had his mixed in with his milk and a yoghurt. they really don't need to drink much to show up what they need to see, about a mouth full can often be enough, obviously the more they drink the better. oh and if it's cos your lo refluxs, cover your back seat with a cloth. zac didn't reflux cos barium so heavy on the 10 min scan but brought most of it back when he was in car!
  • hi, my son zac (14months) has had 3 and is due another in 3 weeks. his first one was at 11 months though but they tend to starve them for 4 hours so they are pretty keen to try anything by the time they start the test. it can be messy so don't use best clothes. poo will be white for a day or so after. zac had his mixed in with his milk and a yoghurt. they really don't need to drink much to show up what they need to see, about a mouth full can often be enough, obviously the more they drink the better. oh and if it's cos your lo refluxs, cover your back seat with a cloth. zac didn't reflux cos barium so heavy on the 10 min scan but brought most of it back when he was in car!
  • I didn't see your post in time sorry, Paul has had 2 of these the first one when he was about 5 months old, I'm sure they will have just used milk with your little one though as he's so young. He wasn't bothered at all by it as the barium doesn't taste bad or anything just messy.

hope it went ok anyway