Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Dreamfeed anyone?

Im thinking of doing it....Evan goes 7.30-4\5am, very good i know image Was wondering if the df would push him to 6.30 (when our day starts) hes 12weeks on thursday and ebf, any thoughts? Would i need to give him a bottle to do it?

xxx

Replies

• Yes, we dreamfeed..

It's a huge success for us - means that Daisy goes from 7pm, dreamfeed at 11pm and then wakes at 7ish. She goes down again then for at least 2 hours, usually more like another 4!!!

I can't help you with bottle thing as Daisy has only ever had a bottle... But I can give more tips on DFing if you're interested - it's the best thing we ever did and Daisy isn't yet 11 weeks. Been sleeping through since 5ish weeks because of this...

C xx
  • Mrs buttons id love any tips you could give me image I normally ex at 10pm as he occ has a bottle of ebm....but has started refusing the bottle now...not good when mummy is meant to be going to see take that next week! Im hoping hel accept the bottle as there meant to be half asleep arnt they....if not i know hed bf...would love your tips image xx
  • Mrs buttons id love any tips you could give me image I normally ex at 10pm as he occ has a bottle of ebm....but has started refusing the bottle now...not good when mummy is meant to be going to see take that next week! Im hoping hel accept the bottle as there meant to be half asleep arnt they....if not i know hed bf...would love your tips image xx
  • we do it and samuel goes from 7 until 7 with a dream feed at 11pm. sometimes he wakes up but is still dopey and sometimes he's completely asleep!

i am bottle feeding but my cousin does it with her daughter and she breastfeeds so it is possible. i just tickle his chin with the teat and his mouth opens wide. he doesn't wake being lifted from the cot and hes so chilled out that he doesnt' take in any wind - so goes straight back down with no grumbles whatsoever.

before this we were trying to do things the gina ford way and were waking him up to feed at this time. we may have got a bit more down him but then had to settle him back.

it seems to work for us. i'd say its worth a try!
  • Ive been df charlotte for the last few weeks in the hope it will send her thru the night as she currently goes to bed between 6pm -7pm and wakes at around 3am-4am for a bottle then again at 5am-6am. So began df at 10pm-11pm and she'll take 3oz (bottle though so cant help you with bf question) but frankly it made no difference (sob) and she wakes at exactly the same times except now she begins to stir for her df and if she doesnt get it then she wakes up !
  • I tried Max with a df but he then started wanting to get up at 5am! Im going to give it another shot next week-im so jealous of how long your lo's sleep Max goes 7pm, 12, 3am, 6am-up and that's on a good night! Starting to feel slightly resentful of breastfeeding!xx
  • Erin-Beth is 13wks now and still only bf, she has her last feed between 8.30 and 9.30 and goes straight to sleep till about 4.30... she used to feed about 11.30 but has dropped this on her own and still goes thru...i tried dreamfeeding her to see if she will go longer but shes just throws it all up and then wakes to feed several times during the nite, so it was best to give up on that!
    but after her 4.30am feed she goes straight back to sleep till 8.30 so im happy with that image
  • Pixiebob, I hear ya! A good night for Peter means he is fed at 12 and 3:30 before waking up at 7. A bad night means feeding every 2 hours from 2:30 until 8!

I did try dream feeding but that just meant he woke every 2 hours from 10:30. Every baby is different, though, so it could work. You won't know until you try.
  • Thanx for the replies girls image

Still havent done it, although he has now eeked it out to 7.30 - 5.30 all on his own...am so suprised as he is ebf! He eats hourly in the day though, so maybe thats my payback :lol: its weird tho as at 5.30 he literally has a 5min bf after going that long through the night :roll: not sure why he cant go longer in the day!

Pixiebob and historygirl, that sucks, i feel your pain, only managed to get my 4yr old to stop coming in through the night when i was 6months pg...am feeling very lucky with Evan image

Thanx again for everyones replies, oh and i had a chat about it, and were going to see what he does for the next week and decide again :\)