Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Taking iron

Im 15 weeks pregnant next Wednesday.I felt quite sick in the first 3 months of my pregnancy but i am now feelng fine.My doctor advised me not to start taking iron until my stomach had settled but now it has im not sure how much iron to take?Any suggestions or should I go back to the doctor?

Replies

• Hi
    I've been advised to have more iron because my iron levels are slightly low but my midwife told me to eat more foods with iron in but if I take tablets to get the pregnancy ones so I'd advise that you check with your midwife or doctor first because you take any tablets just in case.
    My midwife told me to eat red meats, have beans like kidney beans and stuff and I've read up that figs, spinach, eggs and some cereals (fortified ones apparently but I don't know what that means!! but cornflakes are fotified) but I would guess it depends how much iron you need as I think I just need to keep mine topped up.
    Good luck.
    xx
    18+5
  • im not 2 sure hun as iv only ever taken iron when iv had the tablets prescribed for me.I had my bloods done at my 28 week check and am anaemic so im on iron tablets prescribed by my doc.If you wanted to take some then you could get the pregnancy ones,i wouldnt take them if not needed as they can bung you up a bit if u know what i mean lol xx
    hannah
    33+1
  • Sorry, I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but just wanted to mention that when I was taking iron tabs (prescribed after the birth of my little girl as I had a blood transfusion) they caused horrible constipation, apparently due to all the iron which went unabsorbed and passed straight through. Consuming foods high in vit C helps you to absorb iron, but I was drinking gallons of o.j. and it was still like sh*tting a brick every time I tried to go.

So my advice would be if you can possibly avoid taking it in tablet form, especially if you're already constipated (sorry, not being rude about you but I know pregnancy sometimes causes this anyway! image ) do.
  • My midwife just told me at my 31 week appointment that I am aneamic but she said instead of taking the iron tablets prescribed I could try Floradix for a few weeks to see if that helps. I've just started it this morning and its quite gross but bearable. Its a liquid you take with orange juice twice a day.
  • Thanks everyone for their comments.Thay have been a great help.