Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

help me answer this question!

Hi Guys

Last night my hubby was reading our 'plan to get pregnant' book, and came across a contradiction that neither he or I can work out, and I was hoping someone clever on here could help....

So, it says that sperm take 100days to develop/mature. But then it also says that if you abstain from sex for over 3 days or so, it's bad for sperm production.

Doesn't seem to make sense??!! Somebody help us work out what it means!!

T xxxx

PS: testing tomorrow - cant wait, no idea whether I've OV, no idea when AF is due, but haven't tested for a while so gonna do it!

Replies

• I guess it may be a case of supply and demand? like if you leave it for a few days the old sperm factory takes a break in production? Like a spermy holiday?!

And then when production needs to resume, the boss rounds up the little sperm workers to embark on another 100 day shift?

Just my usual half-baked theory image
  • I have no idea :lol:

Maybe something like Fabian said - all I have is visions of little sperms with their hard hats on waiting in a line hee hee hee :lol:

Good luck for testing tomorrow - fingers crossed it's a BFP

L x
  • Not really sure about the logic of it all but our fertility consultant said:

1. If a man is changing his lifestyle to be more healthy eg. cutting back on booze/healthier eating/exercise/stopping smoking, it will take ~ 3 months to see any change as sperm do develop over that length of time.

2. Abstaining for more than ~ 3 days can make the sperm that are there waiting to be ejaculated more sluggish in quality and less effective.

Hope that helps but I'm not sure it will!!!
  • 2. Abstaining for more than ~ 3 days can make the sperm that are there waiting to be ejaculated more sluggish in quality and less effective.

My theory is proven then!! Its the post holiday blues. Aren't we all sluggish after that?! Don't let his little factory go into shutdown!!;\)
  • lol, I love that theory, but will have to put it out of my mind while BD - may make me giggle and spoil the moment! xx
  • lol, I love that theory, but will have to put it out of my mind while BD - may make me giggle and spoil the moment! xx

Of course my dear, and apologies for me for the flagrant use of half baked theorum for planting giggle-seeds in your head. Just lie back and think of Wales instead!!
  • Fabian - you're brilliant!! Hilarious!

Tested this morning (thought I might as well as have absolutely no clue what's going on with my body) and it was BFN. Not hugely disappointed cos I think I was expecting it - but just feel out of control and don't like not knowing whats going on image