Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Talking?

My LO is 16 months and not really talking yet. He can say mum, dad, that, up, out, hello (ee-oo). Is this normal??? Prob just a typical lazy boy!!

Replies

• Sounds totally normal to me!

My dd said a handful of words at 16mths, and loads of babble! She says much more now she is 19mths and understands loads!

She now says 'bye bye see you soon' all the time! As I write she is putting her toys in a cupboard and saying it. It is sooooo cute!

xxxxxxx
  • Aww mims thats so cute!!! Can't wait til Lucas is saying wee things like that. It's funny how we wish their wee lives away by wanting them to hurry up and do everything! Suppose I should be more patient!
  • Oh LC I know I'm the same! I find I spend half the time wishing her along, and the other half sad that she's not not a baby anymore!!

Your lo will be chatting away to you in no time at all - and driving you mad with 'why...?'

:lol:
  • Sounds normal to me.

Charlotte says "hewo" (hello), babye (bye bye), up, haboos (hahoos from ITNG). She can also do some animal noises - meow, moo (more like a randy bull though lol) and woof. She will say dada occasionally but rarely mama. She will chatter all day though in her own special language.

My sister's youngest who has just turned 2 has only just started talking properly.
  • I'd say normal. My Lo is just about 21m and says daddy, mama, wower (flower), herro (hello) and that.

He's a bit behind and HV is keeping an eye on him, so I think your lo is doing just fine!

lo 20m and 30+5
    xxx
  • I'm sure he's fine, they all learn at different rates. You can bet he understands everything you're saying even if he's not saying much! If you're really worried mention it to HV but sometimes they aren't much use.

My youngest is nearly 15 months and she can say a few things- hiya, bye, all gone, tray (?!) ta, tickle tickle tickle, moo...but not mummy or daddy! Now that is bizarre!

My eldest is 2 years 3 months and she can speak in really long sentences, she's got a huge vocabulary... but.she.pauses.between.each.word.like.this! Not sure if that's normal? She is very bright, I think her brain is maybe going faster than what she can say.

The 2 of them are so different in how they learn.

xxx

xxx
  • My lo is 19 months and has just started putting 2-3 words together, he can say loads of words (too many to list) and has been for a couple of months, although he changes the way he pronounces words! When he was about 14months he started saying 'whats that' really clearly and now at 19months just says 'wa dat'
    He can say most of the parts of his body and a few animals and their noises....all of the in the night garden characters lol (not pronounced properly)
    the hv says he is speaking more advanced than is 'normal' and most little boys i know havnt spoken as much at his age...where as girls his age seem to talk more!
    Each child is different and learns different things and different rates so i wouldnt worry about it!!!
    xx
  • I wouldn't worry either as it seems quite normal. Easy for me to say I know as my lo talks so well, putting up to 5 words together at a time and she is 22 months. The Ofsted inspector at her CM thought she was over 2.5 years because of her language.
    One of my brothers didn't talk until he was way over 2 so I know it's normal not to.
    xx
  • he sounds fine nic, i think that as a rule boys are a bit behind girls in their speach,
    freya 16 months says about 60 words and can put 3 or so together, her latest is 'i want' when ever im in the kichen i hear a little voice behind me saying i want juice!!! she has also got possesive and says things like 'its my mummy' but my friend little boy who is only a few weeks younger doesnt say a thing not one word, but he understands every thing that you say to him, and does things like playing boo and driving cars around, he just does it all without talking.
    So at this stage as long as he is understanding what you are saying to him then there is no need to worry. xx
  • My daughter is 22 months and is also a good talker. She is stringing words together as well. I would say about 3-4 together at at time. She understands everything you say. Sometimes too much lol. As long as they understand thats the main thing. They all do things in their own time and when they are ready.
  • sounds totally normal to me, Shea at 16 months was saying about the same but now at 22months his language has just exploded!!

he can say the usual mum, dad, his name, nana, gangdad, cat, dog, all the farm yard animals and sounds that they make, flower, garden, etc

now hes starting to string words together like sit down here, all dried, lets goe outside, numerous others

It will come eventually, I find constantly talking to them really helps, telling them what your doing, or where they are going, that kind of thing,

if you babble on, so should they!
    xx
  • sounds totally normal to me, Shea at 16 months was saying about the same but now at 22months his language has just exploded!!

he can say the usual mum, dad, his name, nana, gangdad, cat, dog, all the farm yard animals and sounds that they make, flower, garden, etc

now hes starting to string words together like sit down here, all dried, lets goe outside, numerous others

It will come eventually, I find constantly talking to them really helps, telling them what your doing, or where they are going, that kind of thing,

if you babble on, so should they!
    xx
  • Hey Nic,

Like all others have said lil man sounds like he's doing fine! Evie's a gobby little miss, mummy, daddy, Joejoe, no, mine, juice, row row row, bye bye, baby, kiss, ta, gone, more, lots of animal noises and on and on! But she's had big bro to learn from. Joe was fairly slow and unclear for a long time but I can't get him to shut up now!!!

Xx
  • I hope its normal as I am in a similar position. Well, I personally am not (I can talk fine, thanks lol) but my lo who is nearly 19 months isn't really saying a lot. He makes lots of noises, but they're not words. He hasn't even said mama yet. He says dada, gogogo, there and that's about it. He can do the noises for sheep, dog and snake. So he's hardly saying much! He does say 'gwch' a lot, but who knows what he means by that. And he sort of squeaks too! Way hey.

If you would like to encourage his communication skills (and by that I mean non-verbal communication), have you thought about doing some baby signing? There are different classes you can go to, and some of those have CDs and DVDs to accompany them. Or you can watch Something Special on CBeebies. Just an idea.
  • You know, I use Makaton at work but had never thought of using it with Lucas- doh!!! Might give it a try!
  • The communication cookbook - produced in partnership with BT is fab too - loads of ideas - Google it and you'll get it up first time!
  • he sounds like he is at the same stage as toby with his talking. i have been doing a little makaton and toby can now ask for milk/ drink /food/ and more i am now trying to teach him please and thankyou

[Modified by: hollypolly on July 27, 2009 05:37 PM]

• thanks for the link! actually looks fab for school (teach in special ed)!!! so double thanks!