Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tantrums & Moaning

My lo is 23 months and we seem to be well and truely in the so called 'terrible two's' stage. It seems as though most of the day is taken up with tantrums, moaning and him generally testing the limits. It's annoying as when I try to tell friends/family and get some advice they just kind of laugh and find it quite amusing!! But I'm actually now feeling really down about it all. Does/has anyone else felt like this or are you supposed to take all this toddler behaviour with a pinch of salt? Also what do you find is the best way to deal with it and what kind of discipline do you use? I was using the ignore negative behaviour and praise the positive but that doesn't work anymore! x

Replies

• Hi missymoo, my lo is 19 mths and already into the 'terrible twos'!

I for one wish there was a magic cure for tantrums, but hey ho! I think that ignoring them and making sure little one does not get his way by having a tantrum is the way to go. And just keep on doing it - eventually the message will sink in!

Remember that he isn't doing it to annoy you - it is him feeling frustrated cos he can't do everything he wants to and being unable to express himself. Personally, if you are finding it too much, I don't think there is anything wrong with putting lo in his room/cot to cry it out - often they stop once they have lost their audience!!

THere is quite a nice little book that I found when I was going through this with my first - called Toddler Taming Tips - found that quite a help. Can't remember who wrote it offhand, but I'm sure a google search will bring it up!

Hope this helps,

Mims
    xxxx

• I am so glad i am not on my own. My little boy is also 23 months and we are having a nightmare. If he can't have what he wants, he throws himself on the floor and screams. Nothing is right and everything is wrong. When he isn't moaning or screaming, he also is pushing the limits. When I tell him not to do something he looks us in the eyes and laughs...then just carries on. People keep telling me its a phase and it will pass...lets hope that we can last through it.
  • Thank you for your replies.

Mims, thanks for the very sensible advice. I know that ignoring and not giving in to a tantrum is probaly the best thing to do..and just hope it's a short phase.

Annieuk, sorry to hear you're having nightmare too. It's so hard isn't it? I read something which makes sense (although quite obvious really) and that's to make sure toddler is not getting overtired and making sure they're not hungry and low on fuel by providing lot's of healthy, energising snack.s I have been giving my lo lot's of snacks throughout the day, things like veg sticks, crackers with peanut butter, fruit, dried apricots and it does help a bit. Could also be a bit fractious due to 2nd molars coming through?? Hope we get our sweet little boys back soon!
  • normally igoring shea works a treat but it wasn't the other day and 10 mins later he was still throwing himself roundthe room so I joined him!!

I threw myself on the floor and started kicking and screaming - he just looked at me gone out!! Then started laughing hysterically, came over patted my head and went "aahh mum" and that was the end of that paddy!!
  • my lo is also 23 mths and can be a little nitemare at times. He favourite thing to do is go limp in your arms so you can't pick her up or you feel like you are going to drop her. She has been behaving like this for a while so now I lay her on the floor carefully without her cracking her head and leave her for a while to calm down. Sometimes it works, other times no chance, esp when we have company. My mum tries to occupy her with some toys and my husband picks her up and babies her which does not work.
    With my eldest 2 now I use the 'naughty corner' a variation in our house on the 'naughty step' and because she sees her sisters go in there, I have started to put her in the corner for 1 minute, which goes very quickly when timed!! So far it does seem to work, and when she comes out she says sorry to everyone!! Probably a bit mean but does seem to be working at the moment.
    Sam x