Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Losing control in legs!!!!!!!!! ?UPDATED -been to physio

Hi all, I've posted this in toddler but thought I'd also write here as Los are same age and I'm not sure you all go on there, apologies it's a cut n paste job

Hi this is a bit of an odd post/question but .......
Zachariah has been walking for about 7 months now and can walk just fine, he does have an inturned foot which is going to be checked out by the physio this tues, but just recently he's been worrying me. We'll be walking and all of a sudden he just loses control of his legs, he isn't tripping he just falls down and sometimes can't get up again. I've also noticed sometimes he will be standing and then when I look at him again he's standing awkwardly like bent at the knees and as far as I can see, no reason for it, he just can't seem to stand up!
It hasn't happened a lot but i am beginning to worry and just wondered whether this is something any of you have come across and could advise me on, thanks!

Thanks, hope you're all doing well

[Modified by: waiting4baby on 18 August 2009 13:57:55 ]

Replies

• Hiya sweetie. Maddy does sometimes seem to have legs that just suddenly buckle and give way. I have been trying not to worry about it too much as I guess she is still building up her muscles. I guess the best thing would be to mention it when they check his leg on tuesday. Hope it all goes well xxx
  • hey sweetie, i'm not sure but i would think it's just that whilst they ahve suddenly learnt to talk/run etc there leg muscles etc are not that strong yet and he's still unbalanced a bit!!! i would just mention to physio!!!

can i ask you say about zach having in turned foot.......... i thought fin was only one in dec 07 with this or is zach only a recent thing???

fin's was spotted at 6 months and both feet turn in but one worse than other - he walked at 12 months and runs and everything it doesnt affect him BUT it is noticable and i dont want him to get teased because of it! we saw a consultant who said it was called Talapis (sp?) its where the bone just before meets foot turns in usually whilst in mum and in most cases as bones develop straighten out - worse case an op at 8 years old?!!!!

anyway sorry ramberling is this like zach or not?

also i have noticed fins are not getting any better so may ask to see consultant again as feel if i could do something to help like physio at home or sumit then i would like to....

xxxxxxxxx
  • I have recently spotted Elijah has one foot which turns in, but as weve just moved havent been in touch with HV yet, have to v soon though. x
  • Thanks all.
    Star, I'd think it's definitely worth pestering gp or someone if they're not doing anything as there probably is something that can help whether it's physio or specific shoes etc.
    I only really noticed zachariah's foot when he started walking and it's not very prominent but it is there, he's occassionally lost balane or tripped over it and it makes him look like he has a bit of a limp whilst walking even now. Tbh I don't know I'd have made much fuss but because we see a paediatrician about his eyes quite often I asked her to take a look and we got a referral 6months on. However I'd seen physio before when he was about 9months so she had added a friendly note on my appointment this time around and mentioned that inturned feet can be quite common in toddlers so may find it's nothing to worry about.
    I'm definitely going to mention his legs giving way to see if it's something I need to bring up at gp but atm I don't know what we're looking at with his feet but will let you know if the physio can enlighten me image
  • Well been to physio and he has inturned foot but very slight and flat feet.... Both of which she told me were quite common in toddlers and unless prominent at 3 not likely to need anything.
    However he also has one leg longer than the other which is apparently quite common and not a huge cause for concern but something to keep an eye on. Again if still there at 3 will need insteps etc. It explains his limp and I wad told might explain his legs giving way if he's just got his balance wrong, she pointed out when he stands one leg is straight whilst the other is slightly bent to accomodate length difference!!!!!! Going to be paying more attention to his legs now and will be checked our again at 2 but v interesting and glad I queried it image
  • Well been to physio and he has inturned foot but very slight and flat feet.... Both of which she told me were quite common in toddlers and unless prominent at 3 not likely to need anything.
    However he also has one leg longer than the other which is apparently quite common and not a huge cause for concern but something to keep an eye on. Again if still there at 3 will need insteps etc. It explains his limp and I wad told might explain his legs giving way if he's just got his balance wrong, she pointed out when he stands one leg is straight whilst the other is slightly bent to accomodate length difference!!!!!! Going to be paying more attention to his legs now and will be checked our again at 2 but v interesting and glad I queried it image
  • wow thats fab that they've re-assured you and its nothing serious anyway!!!

i am def going to get doc appointment and ask to see consultant again just to get fin checked, i would hate to of not tried everything as it is quite bad xx
  • Yes she's a really lovely lady actually and had remembered us from his first check up almost a year ago. Frustrating it's another wait and see issue though but really hoping he does end up having them even out in length, either way he certainly doesn't let anything stop him the little monster image
    good luck with getting more help /advice with fin, it's always worth pestering as dr don't seem to be very good at getting back to you on things themselves without the extra nudge lol! Have you tried writing about it on the 'children with special needs' forum, you may find there's a mum there already who could let you know what sort of assistance their lo is getting so you can point out at drs you're aware what can be available image (or maybe even in toddler)
  •  Hello

My lo also has this problem she doesn't have a limp at all and it doesn't seem to be any pain or redness or injury associated with it. She'll be walking fine and then suddenly it just seems like her legs buckle underneath her and she may fall or sometimes catch herself with like a knee bend it first started off with the right leg and then it proceeded to both legs and it doesn't happen all the time like I said previously but it does happen at intervals of a few times a day just wondering if  anyone else has experienced such a thing, and if so did they get a diagnosis she's had an MRI and Cat Scan and x-rays and they all come out fine. We've also been to the orthopedic which says there's nothing wrong there as well. I am at a loss and wondered if anyone else has found out a diagnosis for this. If anyone has any information or any advice it would be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much for your time

• Did you ever find out what was going on? My nephew is having the same issue now.