Forum home Babies Baby

maternity towels questions?

Hi ladies am G/C from preg and wondering if you can advise.
This is my first so am clueless.
Am trying to sort out hospital bag in next week or so . Are there any maternity towels that are best to buy. Do they have wings and can you use regular sanitary towels? they all seem so bulky.

Also a thought just popped into myhead, i apologise if the answer is obvious but will blame baby brain! If you have a C-Sec will you still suffer from bleeding through your bits?

thanks

33+5
xx

Replies

• its best to use mat pads cause your midwife can spot infection easily. i used ones from mothercare with aloe vera and wings. very comfy but not cheap. then used ones from superdrug and sainsburys.

i bled for about 5-6 weeks after
  • I'd recommend Mat Towels over normal ones to start with, you can switch later on but mat towels don't have the weave which can catch on stitchs as well as for MW to check infection etc.

I used Tesco's towels, cheap and effective.

Yes you'll bleed no matter which hole the baby comes out of.

Good Luck - get Packing!
  • hi
    i used the big bulky ones from always they are in a purple packet but after a few days i went onto using normal always with wings. i didnt bleed for long about 2 weeks i think and i had a c section
  • Thanks for your advice it really helps. Shall be shopping my backside off tomorrow for the stuff i havent got. am strangely excited x
  • Agree with the other ladies. Only thing I would add is don't underestimate how many you're gonna need.

I did. I had one pack of always ultra and while I was still in hosp hubby was in Boots bulk buying about 10 packs. Bless him, he had to ask where they were and everything.
    Good luck. S x
  • Hi I used Tescos own and they were great, cheap and comfortable.

Like the other girls said you need to use mat towels for a while so your MW can check for infection.

I had my baby on 11th Aug and am down to panty liners already and had a normal delivery.

Claire xx
  • Although i'm not due till Feb, just read this and freaked out about how long you bleed for afterwards!!! OMG, well guess it goes with the whole preg territory, good luck with everything ladies, i will remember this for when its my turn image
  • You'll need mat towels to start as bleeding will be quite heavy no matter how your baby is deleivered. I used Asda cheap and cheerful ones and they did the job. Your bleeding might be a bit here and there. I thought I'd stopped then it all came back a couple of days later.
    You'll be fine - Good luck
  • You'll need mat towels to start as bleeding will be quite heavy no matter how your baby is deleivered. I used Asda cheap and cheerful ones and they did the job. Your bleeding might be a bit here and there. I thought I'd stopped then it all came back a couple of days later.
    You'll be fine - Good luck
  • i used mat ones while i was in hospital (3 nights due to lo coming at 32 weeks) then went onto normal pads for heavy flow then after about a week i went down to normal pads. i bled for 3 weeks but the first was just like a heavy period then the second week was like a light period then the last week was just spotting on and off.
  • i used mat ones while i was in hospital (3 nights due to lo coming at 32 weeks) then went onto normal pads for heavy flow then after about a week i went down to normal pads. i bled for 3 weeks but the first was just like a heavy period then the second week was like a light period then the last week was just spotting on and off.
  • I was thinking on this exact subject today, so thank you for starting the thread! I'm guessing my 2 packs of 5 maternity towels and one of always ultra aren't going to be enough lol xxx
  • definitly worth the money, like the others have said it helps the midmives to spot infection..They are very 'bulky' but really absorbant. I had an emergancy c-section and bled for about 3 weeks..heavy for the first few days and it gradually got lighter. I personally dont think that normal towels would have been absorbant enough. Definitly buy plenty. I think i got mine from mothercare, boots and sainsburys..they all seemed pretty good. good luck
  • You'll need maternity pads for the first few days, sanitary towels can mask signs of infection. Although they are quite bulky, you might actually be gald of the padding as it can be quite sore to sit down straight after giving birth - I know I was. I used Boots own, think they were ??1 for 10, and they were fine - I stayed in 2 nights and needed a 2nd pack though. The hospital might give you a few, but they didn't have the sticky strip on the back - check for that when you're buying!

You can get slim ones with wings, which my midwife recommended I switch too after a few days - I recommend boots again over mothercare - the mothercare ones just seemed to have the wings in the wrong place! They were also useful for before labour - had a show on the sunday and was induced on the tuesday, so used the slim pads then too.

Maybe get 3-4 packs of the normal/thick ones to begin with, and a pack or 2 of the slim ones
  • I used the mothercare thick ones and they were grand - way better than the hospital ones! I tried the mothercare slim ones but like the above post says, the wings were very oddly placed. Don't worry about the thickness of them either - you're kind of past caring at that point.
  • I used tesco ones I think they're about 95p for a pack of 10. I can't remember how many packs I went through but it was a lot! I bled for just over 2 weeks and had an assisted delivery. The first week I bled quite heavily then it gradually slowed down.

Good luck for the birth xxx