Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility

Anyone used Menopur?

Hi ladies

Has anyone had any experience of stimulating ovulation using Menopur (Menotrophin)? We start IUI in September and I'll be injecting Menopur every other day for the first half of my cycle until I get one or two follicles of the right size - then the hospital will inject me Pregnyl to make me release an egg (or two), and 24 hours later MrD plays his part and I get inseminated.

I'm not sure why the hospital has chosen to give me Menopur rather than clomid. My blood tests all came back ok, and indicate I am ovulating. I have cysts on my ovaries, but apparently I don't have PCOS.

Has anyone who has used Menopur (either for IUI or IVF) have any advice on what I can expect in terms of side effects? I've read I could get headaches and need to drink plenty of water. Also, any success strories would be a brilliant morale boost. After 18 months of trying naturally with no success, it's scary (and exciting at the same time) to be starting treatment. We always knew IUI then IVF would be the next step if we couldn't hit the jackpot, and now I am staring at the big bag of drugs in front of me, there's just no getting away from the fact we are going to need help to get our BFP.

Thanks

Replies

• I have not used Menopur, but I used something very similar. I did you pregnyl though to release the egg.
    I know that feeling about staring at a big bag of drugs, they even gave me cotton wall and an security box to put the needles in. I was petrified!!!
    I had to inject every single day into my stomach, I did it every evening. I didn't actually have side effects, I felt really good on them. I occasionally felt bloated but nothing major?!
    I then went in for them to look at the follicles, they took me in at day 10 for the ultra sound and a blood test (to check my osetroyn (sp) level) and did an internal. They will want you to ideally have two follicles, with one of them dominant. They told me that they don't really like to release them until they are 14mm. Mine were not that large so they brought me back in two days later and then they said for me to release them that night and that you ovulate within 36 hours. So we BD'd the day after the release and then for 2 more days afterwards.
    They moved me onto this as clomid didn't work, I don't know why they have put you on this first? I am quite surprised they didn't try clomid?
    I can't give you a success story, because this is my first month on it and I won't know until this weekend if it works but I have felt positive in this cycle. It was good seeing the follicles and knowing that they were released and everything?!
    I really would not worry too much about the side effects, I just found it so daunting to start off with,
    Hope that helps,
    xx
  • I have not used Menopur, but I used something very similar. I did you pregnyl though to release the egg.
    I know that feeling about staring at a big bag of drugs, they even gave me cotton wall and an security box to put the needles in. I was petrified!!!
    I had to inject every single day into my stomach, I did it every evening. I didn't actually have side effects, I felt really good on them. I occasionally felt bloated but nothing major?!
    I then went in for them to look at the follicles, they took me in at day 10 for the ultra sound and a blood test (to check my osetroyn (sp) level) and did an internal. They will want you to ideally have two follicles, with one of them dominant. They told me that they don't really like to release them until they are 14mm. Mine were not that large so they brought me back in two days later and then they said for me to release them that night and that you ovulate within 36 hours. So we BD'd the day after the release and then for 2 more days afterwards.
    They moved me onto this as clomid didn't work, I don't know why they have put you on this first? I am quite surprised they didn't try clomid?
    I can't give you a success story, because this is my first month on it and I won't know until this weekend if it works but I have felt positive in this cycle. It was good seeing the follicles and knowing that they were released and everything?!
    I really would not worry too much about the side effects, I just found it so daunting to start off with,
    Hope that helps,
    xx
  • Hiya Mrsd, sorry I can't help at all, but wanted to wish you lots of luck for starting your treatment. I hope you get some answers on here! It sounds very daunting - but worth it if you get your BFP!! I am interested to read about these treatments as it seems that hubbie and I will have to go down this route at some point image xxx
  • Hi i used menopur when we had ICSI and it was not to bad to be honest the main side effects i had was moody, tired and weight gain but i did get my BFP after 3 1/2 years of trying unfortunatley i had a M/MC at 7 weeks but we will be trying again in the next couple of months and fingers crossed all will go well xx
  • Hey Mrs D. Sorry, I can't shed any light but wanted to wish you luck and I would be interested to hear your 'journey' through this as it looks like DH and I will be trying IUI in the next couple of months before we go on to IVF waiting lists in December.

Good luck hun and I really hope you get your BFP.
    xxx
  • Oh ladies, thanks so much for your replies. I've been offline for a few days (working long hours and can't access BE at work - damn open plan office!!) so sorry for the recent radio silence.

Rachie S - thanks for the reassurance about the side effects. Best of luck for this weekend - I have my fingers crossed for you.

TBD - thank you and fear not, I will be giving BE regular updates!!

mrssmith - I'm so sorry that your pregnancy didn't work out, that must have been heartbreaking. The fact you got one step further along the road shows your body knows how to get pregnant and I really hope your next ICSI round works.

MrsHopeful - great to see you back honey!! I'll let you know how IUI goes.

MrsAmanda - 22 - wow!! Yes, that's a whole lot of OV activity...

xx
  • Hi Mrs D

I had to use Menopur for our IVF and I was on a whopping dose - if there were any side effects to be had I reckon I was prime candidate for them!! I carried on just as normal through the injections and although I think the Menopur was responsible for me feeling a bit wiped out at times I didn't have any other issues with it.

I don't know anything about using it with IUI but I would think you'd be on a fairly small dose so I'm sure it will be fine.

Lots and lots of luck.

xxx