Forum home Babies Baby

How much for an 11 year old?

Hi

It's my niece's birthday next week (she will be 11 if you hadn't worked it out from the title :lolimage and I want to give her some money as she's saving up for a laptop.

She was always the only grandchild in the family and we used to be ridiculously generous (??50+) for each birthday / christmas. We had our lo this year and want to bring the present prices back to a reasonable amount as we don't want her parents to feel obliged to do the same to our lo but I am not sure what a reasonable amount is ... (I was thinking ??20 but then thought that was too tight, so thought ??30 but think that might be too much)

I know in the end it is what we can afford and what we are happy giving her but I just wanted your opinions please.

Thanks in advance

xx

Replies

• I would think ??20 or ??25 would be reasonable. ??50 is certainly a lot! Hope she has a lovely birthday. Ps I thought from title that this post was someone trying to auction off an 11 year old :lol: I thought maybe it had been one of those days hehe! xxx
  • As the wicked step-mother of an 11yo, I would agree that ??20/25 is more than enough for any child

xx
  • Ha, ha - love it lea77. She's turned into a bit of a madam recently so I think her mum may well take offers ...

Also thanks both for reassuring me that I am not being unduly tight!

xx

(how do you do smileys in replies????)

[Modified by: **wildkat** on August 26, 2009 07:25 PM]

:lol:

[Modified by: **wildkat** on August 26, 2009 07:25 PM]

• Wow..thats loads! I spend between ??10-15 on my related to me godkids although 13 is the last birthday we buy for in extended family - girl has just turned 11 and I'm spending ??25-30 on her only because I owe her for christmas too - i'm not horrid honest.. i was going to take her out but the place closed down.

First nephew is due any time and other than being born presents I doubt we'll spend more than ??15-20 on any presents.
  • Wow..thats loads! I spend between ??10-15 on my related to me godkids although 13 is the last birthday we buy for in extended family - girl has just turned 11 and I'm spending ??25-30 on her only because I owe her for christmas too - i'm not horrid honest.. i was going to take her out but the place closed down.

First nephew is due any time and other than being born presents I doubt we'll spend more than ??15-20 on any presents.
  • I've got my hands full with my 2 so I won't be bidding! :lol:

xxx

• LMAO - you don't want to bid on an 11 yo girl. It's all make-up and boys!!!!

xx
  • I think ??20-25 is very generous! However, if she's used to getting ??50+, and is (like you say) becoming a bit of a madam, she might not think so - you know then best, but do you think it might be worth explaining to her mum first, so your niece can be briefed on manners when receiving a present, if necessary. Not that I think you should continue to give her ??50, but it might not have occurred to her!
  • hey babe i have a niece and nephew and i always spend 30 pound on christmas or birthdays for each of them. i spose its quite a ;ot but i spoilt them before having my own . my brother spoils daisy too now. its hard cus my niece and nephew are 6 and 13 and no exactly how much they are due to get lol and would asj the question why are they getting less. if mine asked me i would just say anuntie hasnt got as much money any more and has had to cut down on spending and they would accept this kids do x