Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Maternity Leave letter

Hi
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a template you can download to assist in writing my letter to my employers stating my intended maternity leave date? I am not sure where to start and wondered do I put in there if I intend to take leave first and included that date? Also do I state when I would like my leave for next year? Do I need to give an approximate return date at this point too?
Any tips would be great.
Thanks,
Lilou x

Replies

• Is there one at the back of your maternity policy?
  • I never used a template but in one of the pregancy mags really thick one (cant remember name) it has section on your rights and guides you. I used this to help me. I know for my employer i put about using this year annual leave and when this began. In the magazine it says your employer should write back to you with date of return,unless you specify one as employer is to assume you take all 52 wks entitled leave. However i know my employer wanted me to write estimated return date.
    Hope this helps a bit. Look on the net this might help. x
  • I never used a template but in one of the pregancy mags really thick one (cant remember name) it has section on your rights and guides you. I used this to help me. I know for my employer i put about using this year annual leave and when this began. In the magazine it says your employer should write back to you with date of return,unless you specify one as employer is to assume you take all 52 wks entitled leave. However i know my employer wanted me to write estimated return date.
    Hope this helps a bit. Look on the net this might help. x
  • I just had a form I filled out - employer presented it to me -

Have you tried:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/index.htm

xx

MKB 40+8
  • Try what piggypops said and MKB. I also had to fill out the form at the back of our maternity policy, nothing else. I also had a meeting with HR who confirmed everything in writing the following day which includes when i can go off at 29 weeks, what my chosen mat leave date is and when i should be returning to work.

xxx
  • Hi
    Thanks for your replies. i work for a small employer so there isn't any standard forms or an HR dept. I am just meant to write a letter. I will have a look at the direct gov website.
    Thanks again,
    Lilou x
  • Here you go:

http://tiger.direct.gov.uk/cgi-bin/maternity.cgi

This breaks down all your dates, entitlement and give you a letter. I modified mine a bit to include about taking annual leave before mat leave started but it's quite good as a base.

x 38+6
  • Don't know if this will help, I got mine from a template somewhere....

I am writing to confirm that I am pregnant and that my expected week of childbirth (EWC) is the week beginning **/**/****.

I would like to take my * remaining days annual leave from the **/**/**** (inclusive) and then start my Statutory Maternity leave and pay to commence from **/**/**** for a total of 39 weeks.

Please find enclosed with this letter, my original certificate of Expected Childbirth (MAT B1) confirming my Expected Due Date (EDD) of **/**/****.

I will notify you 28 days in advance, should I wish you make any changes to the above agreement.

Yours Sincerely

Ali 34+1 x