Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

HELP, DENTIST WORRY

Riley chipped his tooth a while ago whick was down to poor enamel,it was a tiny chip you hardly saw it.i took him to the dentist and he said it should be fine.

Riley then tryed to bite of a tyre from a car but it was not rubber but plastic an managed to take out a hugh chunk of half a tooth.i took him back to the dentist as he had a long sharp bit of tooth which he kept catching.
The dentist filed it down and riley was total fine with it,in fact it didnt bother him at all.

Now he has said that it needs to be sorted as the tooth is still abit rough,the only problem i have is it cant be done under sedation,they dont sedate under 5's and the hospital will only take it out.My dentist is happy to do the work but will have to numb the area of work first.

Im not asking anyone to tell me what to do as thats my choice but just wondering what you would all do be it you little nipper.

Im quite ok going to te dentist for treatment and always take riley when we go for check ups and his always happy,but i dont want to scare him of the dentist by making him have work done at an early age.(his 2 by the way)

xx

Replies

• As he is only 2 he has quite a while before his tooth will fall out and if it's left he could end up with a toothache and as he was happy to have his tooth filed down he'll proberbly be ok with a filling. Though i'd ask your dentist if he can put some anaesthetic gel on his gum before he has his injection.
  • Hi Sarah,yeah the dentist has banana flavour gel i believe,his fave flavour.I to dont want it to get to tooth ache stage.

My hubbys the wimp,he hates having the injections,he only overcome it when the NHS stopped it and now you have to pay for it NHS or private.

We are going to talk it over tonight,i'll gey the last say as it will be me taking him and dealig with him after while hubby is at work.I no it needs to be done and i guess there is just never a right time.

Will let it be known what we do and how it goes.

Thanks.xx
  • Hi all,thanks for the replys but we have hit a snag.My dentist cant do anything till the pct(patient care trust)say he can do a white filling on the NHS as it would be charagebale but because RIleys only a toddler they have to get it agreed by a few people so we have to wait till they say yes.will keep updating on this.

But anywho his been fine with it at the moment and thankfuly its not bthering him,just as well being made to wait.
    emma.
  • Hi Becs,

ITs great to hear from someone in that field.I used to practice as a dental nurse just after i left school but only got it on a temp basis and didnt go back.Its all different now days.

We were told that Riley can't be sedated but can have the numbing injection and have just been told that he can by all means have a white filling done,so its not just getting him there and having it done.
    xx
  • Thanks that means alot,will keep all updated.
    Emma.xx
  • Hi all,

Well we can go ahead with the filling and hopefuly our dentist said that he might be able to do it without the injection(bonus)ive got a few kiddie books on going to the dentist and having injection and fillings,Riley likes it and ahhh and open wide so i think his aware of what will be hapening.

We are having it done thin thursday afternoon so i'll pop on here in the evening and let you all no how it went and what his feeling like.

Emma xx
  • HI ALL,

WELL IT DIDNT GO TO PLAN,RILEY WOULDNT SIT STILL AND JUST CLAMPED HIS MOUTH SHUT, THE DENTIST MANAGED TO SEE IN HIS MOUTH AND SAID THAT BECAUSE THE TOOTH HAD'NT GOT ANY WORSE SINCE OUR LAST VISIT AND THAT RILEY WAS REALY UNHAPPY TO SIT THERE HE SAID IT SHOUL BE QUITE FINE TO LEAVE IT IF ITS NOT CAUSING HIM AND PAIN.

SO WE ARE GOING TO LEAE IT BUT HAVE T GO BACK EVERY 3MTHS TO CHECK IT JUST IN CASE.

OH YEAH, OUR DENTIST ALSO SAID THAT HE THINKS THE DENTAL(PCT)STILL USE GAS AND AIR TO KNOCK OUT CHILDREN SO IF HE REALY DOES NEED THE WORK I WILL DEFO CHECK IT OUT.

EMMA XX
  • That's nice! Great dentist, obviously you have found someone who's really dedicated to his work and not for profit. I would also do the same, if it would rather cause me to lose the opportunity to make him feel okay with dentists in general and if the tooth is okay. Did your child get an x-ray to validate? Anyway, I am happy you got this sorted out.

• Reading this share gave me goose bumps. Visiting a doctor and especially for dental treatment is phobic indeed. Came to know about dentist Hermosa Beach from my friend for pale teeth discoloration. Gone through the whole site of http://newsmilesdentistry.com/ and got an appointment for next week. Will take mom along with. Hoping to get the best advice.