Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Night time awake time - getting LO back to sleep how long?

Hi Ladies,

Not been on here at all much recently, but I have a question and wondered if you could help. My LO is 2 weeks old and I'm breastfeeding her on demand. She is very alert for a 2 week old and has LOTS of wakey time, which is fine during the day but she seems to have the same during the night. Is this normal? Sometimes I'm up for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night. So she'll get up, have a feed, then be awake until time for the next feed. It's wrecking me and hubby goes back to work tomorrow!!

Is this normal? Am I expecting too much for her to go back to sleep so quickly??

Thanks so much for your help.

Worried and tired MummyEvans x

Replies

• Hi, my baby Joseph was a bit like this at the beginning but I don't think it lasted too long. I just tried to keep things dark and quiet at night, just cuddled him in the bedroom if he was still awake. And in the daytime, tried to keep it light and noisy, take him out for walks etc. so he would get the distinction between day and night. I think it is very normal at the beginning though, so don't worry, it will pass. (I know that doesn't help when you are exhuasted though!) x
  • I really hope this improves for you soon. For the first fortnight or so Lily didn't know day from night, but like your LO she was breastfed on demand and quite soon she'd just wake, have a feed (all in the dark) and then go back down. Hope this is the case for you.

PS I didn't mention that we co-slept for the first 6 weeks or so. I know this isn't for everyone but it worked for us, as it meant I could just feed her lying down and barely even wake up myself, and she was warm and secure which I think probably helped with the going back off to sleep.
  • I think its perfectly normal - my lo used to drive me mad in the middle of the night, nothing would send her back to sleep. As the others have said, just try and keep the room as dark as possible and quiet then total opposite in the day. Your lo will soon learn the difference between day and night, it does get easier!!
  • It will settle down in time hun. Lily fay was the same and I used to be up for anything from 30 minutes to 3 hours in the night and it drove me mad! I was constantly fretting that she would never sleep at night but shes now 12 weeks and a fantastic sleeper. She sometimes goes from about 10pm to 6pm but if she does wake for a feed its a quick 30 minute job!
    xxx